It’s been six months since the Manzini Mas­ter of the High Court of­fices have been with­out elec­tric­ity, caus­ing great in­con­ve­nience to most peo­ple seek­ing as­sis­tance there.

This comes af­ter gov­ern­ment’s fail­ure to buy an elec­tric­ity trans­mis­sion ca­ble, which was dam­aged.

The ca­ble costs about E4 000. Or­di­nar­ily, the of­fice of the Mas­ter of the High Court han­dles es­tates of de­ceased peo­ple by bring­ing to­gether all their pos­ses­sions and mak­ing sure they are dis­trib­uted un­bi­ased and ac­cord­ing to the de­sires of the de­parted in­di­vid­ual.

The ca­ble at the Manzini Mas­ter’s of­fices was re­port­edly dam­aged around May but has not been fixed since then.

Ever since the ca­ble was dam­aged, the of­fi­cers at the cen­tre have been work­ing with­out power. This has some­how slowed down the work process at the of­fices which has led to pub­lic out­cry.

Sev­eral ben­e­fi­cia­ries from the de­ceased’s es­tates have been de­layed from re­ceiv­ing their pay­ments from the of­fice fol­low­ing the elec­tric­ity blackout.

“The blackout has re­sulted in the cen­tre staff hav­ing to go to other gov­ern­ment of­fices in the city to do some of their work (typ­ing, pho­to­copy­ing and print­ing),” one of the staff told this pub­li­ca­tion.

The staff, who spoke to this pub­li­ca­tion on con­di­tion of anonymity, went on to add that at some point some of the dig­i­tal work has to be fer­ried and done in other re­gional of­fices, in­clud­ing Nh­langano and Siteki.

On another note, wi­d­ows from polyg­a­mous mar­riages are of the view that there should be more than one file for reg­is­ter­ing their claims, as they claim there is only one at the mo­ment, which de­lays their claims.

They said when the other wife was pro­cess­ing her claim, the oth­ers are halted from pur­su­ing same, as the file is taken to Mba­bane.

Fur­ther­more, some have ques­tioned the safety of the file, as it is re­port­edly moved be­tween the Manzini and Mba­bane of­fices.

This pub­li­ca­tion un­der­stands that the mat­ter was re­ported head­quar­ters.

Ef­forts to dis­cuss the mat­ter with rel­e­vant stake­hold­ers were fu­tile. The Ju­di­cial Ser­vice Com­mis­sion ( JSC) Sec­re­tary Banele Ng­cam­pha­lala has not re­sponded to a ques­tion­naire sent to her by the time of go­ing for press.

Through a fol­low up call, Ng­cam­pha­lala ac­knowl­edged re­ceipt of an email and to the Mba­bane said she had for­warded it the Chief Jus­tice Bheki Mapha­lala’s of­fice, as it needed such au­tho­ri­sa­tion.

She promised to re­spond be­fore the end of busi­ness on Fri­day, stat­ing that the lat­est would be Satur­day (yes­ter­day).

How­ever, by yes­ter­day, the JSC Sec­re­tary had still not re­sponded un­til the time of go­ing to print.

Boxes placed in one of the of­fices.

Some of the files scat­tered on the floor.

Some of of­fices. the peo­ple who came to get help at the dark

A van fully-loaded with cor­ru­gated iron sheets, which looked like they could fall any­time be­ing driven past the High Ac­ci­dent Zone down Malag­wane Hill yes­ter­day.(

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Swaziland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.