FIRE DESTROYS OLD WOMAN’S HOUSE
AN elderly woman estimated to be in her 90s had a narrow escape when a mysterious fire gutted down her house, reducing it into ashes.
Community members of Jabulani/Mlambo area were relieved to hear that the old woman miraculously escaped unhurt.
However, they were worried as to where she would be living as her house had been completely destroyed. No one has a clue other than speculations as to what exactly happened that led to the tworoom house of Gogo Bellinah Kunene catching fire in the wee hours of Wednesday. Arson attack or candle left unattended is reportedly the speculation doing the rounds. The matter has since been reported to the police who are still investigating it.
It is said the old woman was woken up by smoke and nearly fainted when realising that her house was up in flames.
It is said neighbours heard the old woman screaming for help and to their shock, they saw flames accompanied by smoke engulfing her homestead.
A neighbour identified as Nhlanhla Myeni heard the old woman’s screams and he rushed out of his house.
He was shocked upon realising that the alarm was from Gogo Kunene’s homestead and he rushed there.
It is said he cautiously jumped into the burning house and pulled out the old woman who was unable to find a way out of the house as it was engulfed by thick smoke.
Another neighbour, Susan Matse, said they were shocked by what befell the old woman and further thanked Myeni for his bravery.
“She sustained burns on the body as she struggled coming out. She was heard screaming and that was when Nhlanhla responded,” said Matse.
Matse said Gogo Kunene’s items that were inside the house were all burned to ashes.
“She only remained with what she was wearing and there was no way anything inside could be salvaged as the flames were too huge.
We don’t have a clue on what actually caused the fire. Some suspect that a candle was left unattended,” said Matse.
Chief Police Information and Communications Officer Superintendent Khulani Mamba confirmed the incident, adding that it was under investigations.
NOTHING LEFT: The remains of Gogo Kunene’s house.
HOMELESS: Gogo Bellinah Kunene whose house was razed down by fire while she was asleep in the wee hours of Wednesday.