Seoul pushes for Trump-Kim talks as North warns sus­pen­sion

Daily Sabah (Turkey) - - International -

SOUTH Korea said yes­ter­day it's push­ing to re­set high-level talks with North Korea and will com­mu­ni­cate closely with Wash­ing­ton and Py­ongyang to in­crease the chances of a suc­cess­ful sum­mit be­tween Pres­i­dent Don­ald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on re­solv­ing the stand­off over the North's nu­clear weapons.

The an­nounce­ment by Seoul's pres­i­den­tial Na­tional Se­cu­rity Coun­cil came a day af­ter North Korea threat­ened to scrap next month's historic meet­ing be­tween Trump and Kim, say­ing it has no in­ter­est in a "one-sided" af­fair meant to pres­sure the North to aban­don its nukes. The North also broke off a high-level meet­ing with South Korea to protest the U.S.-South Korean mil­i­tary ex­er­cises the North has long claimed are an in­va­sion re­hearsal.

The North's sur­prise an­nounce­ment seemed to cool what had been an un­usual flurry of out­reach from a coun­try that last year con­ducted a provoca­tive se­ries of weapons tests that had many fear­ing the re­gion was on the edge of war. An­a­lysts said it's un­likely that North Korea in­tends to scut­tle all diplo­macy. More likely, they said, is that it wants to gain lever­age ahead of the talks be­tween Kim and Trump, sched­uled for June 12 in Sin­ga­pore.

South Korea, which bro­kered the talks be­tween Kim and Trump, will "closely me­di­ate us­ing mul­ti­ple com­mu­ni­ca­tion channels with the United States and with North Korea so that the North KoreaU.S. sum­mit can pro­ceed suc­cess­fully," said the NSC af­ter a meet­ing chaired by Chung Eui-yong, the top se­cu­rity ad­viser of South Korean Pres­i­dent Moon Jae-in.

The NSC also urged the North to faith­fully abide by the agree­ments reached be­tween Moon and Kim in their sum­mit last month, where they is­sued a vague vow on the "com­plete de­nu­cle­ariza­tion" of their penin­sula and pledged per­ma­nent peace. Se­nior of­fi­cials from the two Koreas were to sit down at a border vil­lage on Wed­nes­day to dis­cuss how to implement their lead­ers' agree­ments to re­duce mil­i­tary ten­sions along their heav­ily for­ti­fied border and im­prove over­all ties be­fore the North can­celed the meet­ing.

In Wash­ing­ton, Trump said the U.S. hasn't been no­ti­fied about the North Korean threat to can­cel the sum­mit. "We haven't seen any­thing. We haven't heard any­thing. We will see what hap­pens," he said.

White House spokes­woman Sarah Huck­abee San­ders said the ad­min­is­tra­tion is "still hope­ful" that the sum­mit will take place, and that threats from North Korea to scrap the meet­ing were "some­thing that we fully ex­pected."

She said Trump is "ready for very tough ne­go­ti­a­tions," adding that "if they want to meet, we'll be ready and if they don't that's OK." She said if there is no meet­ing, the U.S. would "con­tinue with the campaign of max­i­mum pres­sure" against the North.

North Korean first vice foreign min­is­ter Kim Kye Gwan said in a state­ment car­ried by state me­dia that "we are no longer in­ter­ested in a ne­go­ti­a­tion that will be all about driv­ing us into a cor­ner and mak­ing a one-sided de­mand for us to give up our nukes and this would force us to re­con­sider whether we would ac­cept the North Korea-U.S. sum­mit meet­ing." He crit­i­cized re­cent com­ments by Trump's top se­cu­rity ad­viser, John Bolton, and other U.S. of­fi­cials who have said the North should fol­low the "Libyan model" of nu­clear dis­ar­ma­ment and pro­vide a "com­plete, ver­i­fi­able and ir­re­versible dis­man­tle­ment." He also took is­sue with U.S. views that the North should fully re­lin­quish its bi­o­log­i­cal and chem­i­cal weapons.

An­nual mil­i­tary drills be­tween Wash­ing­ton and Seoul have long been a ma­jor source of con­tention be­tween the Koreas, and an­a­lysts have won­dered whether their con­tin­u­a­tion would hurt the de­tente that, since an out­reach by Kim in Jan­uary, has re­placed the in­sults and threats of war. Much larger spring­time drills took place last month with­out the North's typ­i­cally fiery con­dem­na­tion or ac­com­pa­ny­ing weapons tests, though Wash­ing­ton and Seoul toned down those ex­er­cises.

The North's of­fi­cial Korean Cen­tral News Agency said the U.S. air­craft mo­bi­lized for the drills in­clude nu­clear-ca­pa­ble B-52 bombers and stealth F-22 fighter jets, two of the U.S. mil­i­tary as­sets it has pre­vi­ously said are aimed at launch­ing nu­clear strikes on the North. The al­lies say the drills are de­fen­sive in na­ture.

Seoul's De­fense Min­istry said F-22s are in­volved in the drills, but not the B52s. Min­istry spokesman Lee Jin-woo said the B-52s had never been part of plans for this year's drills that are fo­cused on pi­lot train­ing, deny­ing me­dia spec­u­la­tion that Wash­ing­ton and Seoul with­drew the bombers in re­ac­tion to Py­ongyang's an­nounce­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Turkey

© PressReader. All rights reserved.