How to get hitched

Emirates Bride - - STOCKISTS -

Is­lamic mar­riages STEP ONE

The cou­ple in­tend­ing to marry, to­gether with the bride-to-be’s father or her le­gal guardian and two other male Mus­lim wit­nesses, must be present at the Is­lamic mar­riage court for the cer­e­mony to take place. All wit­nesses must present their pass­ports stat­ing that they are ei­ther UAE cit­i­zens or valid UAE res­i­dence hold­ers. To be mar­ried un­der Sharia’ah law, the groom must be Mus­lim, while the bride can be of any re­li­gion. Be­fore the wed­ding, a dowry has to be con­firmed and paid. If this does not oc­cur, a writ­ten dec­la­ra­tion must be pro­vided stat­ing that there is no dowry. STEP TWO Fol­low­ing the cer­e­mony a UAE mar­riage li­cence will be is­sued for a Dhs50 fee in ad­di­tion to a Dhs10 fee for iden­ti­fi­ca­tion pur­poses. If the mar­riage is con­ducted out­side of the UAE and you want the agree­ment to be le­galised here, the doc­u­men­ta­tion will need to be taken to the Min­istry of For­eign Af­fairs of the United Arab Emi­rates for rat­i­fi­ca­tion. If the cer­tifi­cate is in a lan­guage other than Ara­bic it will need to be trans­lated and rat­i­fied by the Min­istry of Jus­tice.


Fi­nal authen­ti­ca­tion, for non-UAE cit­i­zens, is then re­quired by your em­bassy or con­sulate, which will in­volve a fee.


Orig­i­nal pass­ports and pho­to­copies need to be pre­sented by all in­volved.

Iden­ti­fi­ca­tion pa­pers are also re­quired for the bride’s father or guardian, as well as the two wit­nesses.

If the bride’s father is de­ceased, a Sharia’ah Dec­la­ra­tion of his death must be pro­vided. In this case she must have con­sent from her brother or an un­cle. If there are no male rel­a­tives to give con­sent, doc­u­men­ta­tion of proof is nec­es­sary. Al­ter­na­tively if the bride’s father can­not be present, he must pro­vide a let­ter of con­sent, along with a cer­ti­fied copy of his pass­port to ver­ify his sig­na­ture.

In the case that the bride is Mus­lim and her father is not, a cer­tifi­cate of no im­ped­i­ment (no ob­jec­tion) is re­quired from ei­ther the bride’s em­bassy or con­sulate.

Chris­tian mar­riages STEP ONE

Be­gin by choos­ing a church and min­is­ter, but note that some min­is­ters will only marry mem­bers of their own de­nom­i­na­tion. Also take into con­sid­er­a­tion that for your mar­riage to be au­then­ti­cated in the UAE the church and min­is­ter must be recog­nised and regis­tered by Dubai Courts. Then you need to de­cide if you want to marry in the church or at an al­ter­na­tive venue which needs to be sup­ported by a wed­ding li­cence. Keep in mind that you will need to have at least two wit­nesses present.


Once the cer­e­mony has been con­ducted, the min­is­ter will is­sue a mar­riage cer­tifi­cate. This will be in English so you will need to have it trans­lated into Ara­bic by a court-ap­proved le­gal trans­la­tor for a spec­i­fied fee of Dhs40-Dhs50 per page.


Both the English and Ara­bic cer­tifi­cates then need to be cer­ti­fied by the No­tary Pub­lic Of­fice at the Dubai Courts for a fee of Dhs110.


The pa­per­work then needs to be pro­cessed and au­then­ti­cated by the Min­istry of Jus­tice for Dhs52. This is fol­lowed by ver­i­fi­ca­tion by the Min­istry of For­eign Af­fairs for Dhs150.


You can then have your mar­riage le­galised for your coun­try of ci­ti­zen­ship by tak­ing the cer­tifi­cates to your em­bassy, which will process the in­for­ma­tion.


Orig­i­nal pass­ports plus cer­ti­fied copies need to be pro­vided by both par­ties.

If ei­ther bride or groom is di­vorced de­crees need to be pro­vided.

Gen­er­ally a ‘no ob­jec­tion’ let­ter is re­quired from your em­bassy – fees vary.

The church will pro­vide a stan­dard form, which needs to be com­pleted by both par­ties.

In­dian mar­riages STEP ONE

Fol­low­ing the en­gage­ment, you must or­gan­ise for three wit­nesses with res­i­dency visas to ac­com­pany you to the In­dian con­sulate Mar­riage Of­fi­cer. Here you will need to pro­vide a No­tice of In­tended Mar­riage form and pay a fee of Dhs190. This en­ti­tles you to a news­pa­per mar­riage no­ti­fi­ca­tion whereby the cou­ple must then wait 30 days for any ob­jec­tions. Af­ter this a date for solem­ni­sa­tion is given, pro­vided there were no ob­jec­tions.


A day be­fore the con­firmed cer­e­mony the cou­ple and their wit­nesses need to pro­vide orig­i­nal pass­ports to the Mar­riage Of­fi­cer. The fol­low­ing day is the fi­nal solem­ni­sa­tion of mar­riage, where ev­ery­one in­vited to the wed­ding can at­tend.


If the cou­ple re­quires a re­li­gious cer­e­mony un­der the Mus­lim or Chris­tian faith, they should fol­low the guide­lines given above for cor­rect pro­ce­dures on cer­e­monies and at­test­ing cer­tifi­cates. Al­ter­na­tively the Church of South In­dia (CSI) par­ish in Karama of­fers ser­vices for their mem­bers and can be con­tacted on (04) 3372111. The Hindu Tem­ple in Bur Dubai is avail­able for Hindu cer­e­monies, phone (04) 3535334.


The Dubai and Abu Dhabi Con­sulates are the best source for de­tails on the for­mal­i­ties on In­dian wed­ding cer­e­monies and for all rel­e­vant forms, and a struc­tured guide­line. and In­dem­

Watch Dhs336,285 de Griso­gono

Ear­rings Dhs18,020 Marlo Laz

Bag Dhs2,915 The Volon

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UAE

© PressReader. All rights reserved.