Saudi Ara­bia re­ports 2,442 new cases, 15 deaths

SPIKE IN NUM­BER OF WOMEN GET­TING IN­FECTED AS RE­COV­ER­IES CON­TINUE TO RISE IN THE KING­DOM

Gulf News - - FRONT PAGE -

Mada­gas­car’s green gold to take on Covid-19 Yoga poses to strengthen your im­mune sys­tem

The num­ber of coro­n­avirus cases in Saudi Ara­bia topped 70,000 yes­ter­day, af­ter 2,442 peo­ple have tested pos­i­tive for coro­n­avirus, tak­ing the over­all in­fec­tions in the coun­try to 70,161, the Min­istry of Health an­nounced.

De­spite an in­crease in daily con­firmed in­fec­tions, the num­ber of re­cov­er­ies con­tin­ues to grow as well, with 2,233 pa­tients re­cov­er­ing fully, bring­ing the to­tal num­ber of pa­tients re­cov­ered so far to 41,236.

Dur­ing the daily me­dia brief­ing, the min­istry an­nounced the death of 15 pa­tients in the last 24 hours, push­ing the coun­try’s to­tal fa­tal­i­ties toll to 379.

Yes­ter­day saw a spike the num­ber of fe­males get­ting in­fected with the virus where 79 per cent of the to­tal cases were fe­male while the rest 21 per cent were male di­vided as fol­lows: 10 per cent chil­dren, 86 per cent are adults while 4 per cent are among the el­derly; 35 per cent of the cases are Saudis and 65 per cent are ex­pats.

Speak­ing dur­ing the daily press brief­ing, the Health Min­istry’s spokesman Dr Mo­ham­mad Al Ab­dul Ali noted that the to­tal num­ber of re­cov­er­ies has out­paced the over­all tally of ac­tive cases, which now stands at 28,546. He added that cur­rently 339 pa­tients are in crit­i­cal con­di­tion.

463 new cases in Oman

Oman’s Health Min­istry yes­ter­day con­firmed 463 new cases rais­ing the over­all in­fec­tions to 7,257, the Omani news agency ONA re­ported.

The newly di­ag­nosed cases in­clude 210 Oma­nis and 253 for­eign­ers, the min­istry said without giv­ing a break­down of for­eign pa­tients’ na­tion­al­i­ties.

Oman has banned all gath­er­ings

dur­ing the Eid Al Fitr hol­i­day. Vi­o­la­tions are pun­ish­able by a fine of 1,500 Omani riyals.

Bahrain has con­firmed 360 new cases, 220 of which were de­tected among ex­pa­tri­ate work­ers, and 140 were found to have been ex­posed to ac­tive cases, the King­dom’s Min­istry of Health re­ported yes­ter­day. The min­istry re­ported no new deaths for a week in the coun­try, while eight pa­tients are in crit­i­cal con­di­tion.

An­other 1,732 peo­ple have tested pos­i­tive in Qatar, push­ing the to­tal num­ber of pos­i­tive cases to 42,213.

AFP

Saudis shop at the Panorama Mall in Riyadh on Fri­day, ahead of Eid Al Fitr. This year, Mus­lims will have to of­fer prayers at home since mosques are closed for con­gre­ga­tional prayers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UAE

© PressReader. All rights reserved.