CHICKEN & LEEK HOTPOT
Instead of the potatoes, you could use sweet potato or butternut squash; you could also omit the chicken and use vegetable stock for a vegetarian option.
Serves 4 Preparation time 20 minutes Cooking time 1 hour 15 minutes INGREDIENTS
• 1 tbsp oil • 6 chicken thigh fillets (about 600g/1lb 5oz), diced • 2 leeks (about 500g/1lb 2oz), thickly sliced and well rinsed • 300ml/½pt hot chicken stock • 2 tsp Dijon mustard • 200g/7oz cavolo nero, sliced • Salt and freshly ground black pepper • 700g/1½lb potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced • 15g/½oz knob of butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6 and grease a large casserole dish.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes, to brown. Remove and reserve. Add the leeks to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Add the stock, mustard and cavolo nero and cook for 1-2 minutes, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Lay a third of the potatoes in the base of the casserole dish and top with half the leek mixture, followed by half the chicken. Repeat, finishing with a layer of potatoes. Cover with a lid or foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
4. Remove the lid, brush the potatoes with the melted butter then bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes until piping hot, golden and crispy.