5 STEPS TO CATCHING YOUR PERFECT WAVE
1. Match your board to the wave, a modern shortboard will be almost un-ridable in small waves. Consider a longboard for starting out.
2. Pick a break that matches your skill level. No need to paddle out at Pipeline on your first day, luckily this isn’t an issue in the UAE.
3. Find the sweet spot where your weight is centered on the board, too far forward and your nose will “pearl” plowing under water at an alarming rate. Too far back and you’ll never catch anything.
4. From a seated position, rotating each leg in opposite directions will turn you around in time to catch the oncoming wave.
5. Look for the spot where the wave begins, to “section” this is the place where the white water breaks to the left or right (depending on the direction of the break) wave’s open face. This is where you want to be!