Tor­reira saves day for Arse­nal with a last-gasp win­ner

Sport360 - - Premier League - By Staff Re­porter @Sport360 ✉ ed­i­to­[email protected]

Lu­cas Tor­reira’s strike en­sured Arse­nal re­cov­ered from the dis­ap­point­ment of Alexan­dre La­cazette harshly hav­ing a goal ruled out to win 1-0 against Hud­der­s­field and ex­tend their un­beaten run to a 21st match.

The French striker had been un­for­tu­nate not to have given Unai Emery’s team a first-half lead and their grow­ing frus­tra­tion showed as two play­ers were booked for div­ing.

Yet there is again an op­ti­mism

sur­round­ing their prospects, ow­ing largely to the im­prove­ment they have demon­strated in not los­ing since vis­it­ing Chelsea on Au­gust 18, and that self-be­lief and re­silience grad­u­ally led to the goal they de­served with Tor­reira’s fine fin­ish seven min­utes from time.

Ralph Hasen­huttl be­gan his reign as Southamp­ton man­ager with a 1-0 de­feat at Cardiff as makeshift striker Cal­lum Pater­son de­liv­ered again.

Hasen­huttl was brought in af­ter Mark Hughes was sacked on Mon­day and, mind­ful that the Ti­tanic had sailed from Southamp­ton, spoke of not “hit­ting any ice­bergs”.

But Southamp­ton were sunk by the sort of mis­take which has left them in the choppy wa­ters of the drop zone and cost Hughes his job.

There seemed no dan­ger in the 74th minute when Jan­nik Vester­gaard was in con­trol and seem­ingly shep­herd­ing the ball back to his goal­keeper Alex McCarthy. But a slip in pos­ses­sion was all that Pater­son needed and the striker, who was signed as a right-back and who still fills that po­si­tion for Scot­land, nipped in to strike.

West Ham came from be­hind to beat Crys­tal Palace 3-2 at the Lon­don Sta­dium.

James McArthur put the Ea­gles in front on six min­utes, but the Irons were level three min­utes into the sec­ond half through Scot­land mid­fielder Robert Sn­od­grass.

Javier Her­nan­dez put West Ham ahead from close range on 62 min­utes, tuck­ing in the re­bound from Fe­lipe An­der­son’s free-kick.

Be­fore Palace could re­group, they were 3-1 down on 65 min­utes as Brazil­ian An­der­son clipped the ball into the top cor­ner.

Sub­sti­tute Jef­frey Schlupp’s header gave the Ea­gles hope with 15 min­utes left, but there was to be no dra­matic fi­nale.

Burn­ley moved out of the bot­tom three with a 1-0 home win over Brighton, with de­fender James Tarkowski get­ting what proved a cru­cial break­through five min­utes be­fore half-time.

New hero: Lu­cas Tor­reira.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UAE

© PressReader. All rights reserved.