POMP AND CEREMONY
It was a day of pomp and ceremony in Abu Dhabi on Thursday. Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El Sisi was on the last day of his two-day trip. But away from the pleasantries, major deals were signed between the UAE and Egypt, deepening ties in a wide range of endeavours.
● The UAE and Egypt signed a $20 billion (Dh73bn) strategic investment fund for major projects in both countries. It is envisaged the fund will enable social and economic projects in the two countries.
● Both countries agreed to fight against extremism and promote stability in the region.
● Mr El Sisi was bestowed with the Order of Zayed, the UAE’s highest civilian honour. He joins other world leaders such as Russia’s Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping in being awarded the honour.
● Other deals were signed in taxation, insurance and areas of manpower and employment.
● Mr El Sisi said a ‘special relationship’ existed between the two countries.