My wife suf­fered tu­ber­cu­lo­sis nine years ago. Am I al­lowed to spon­sor her?

The National - News - - BUSINESS MONEY - Keren Bobker is an in­de­pen­dent fi­nan­cial ad­viser and se­nior part­ner with Hol­born As­sets in Dubai, with more than 25 years’ ex­pe­ri­ence. Con­tact her at [email protected]­bor­nas­sets. com. Follow her on Twit­ter at @Fi­nan­cialUAE. The advice pro­vided in our col­umns does

QI am Bri­tish and look­ing to move to Dubai with my fam­ily. My wife had TB about nine years ago and was fully treated by the Na­tional Health Ser­vice in the UK. Since then, we have lived in places such as Egypt and China with­out any fur­ther is­sues. Will I still be able to spon­sor my wife to live in Dubai with me and our chil­dren? UA, UK A

While the UAE has con­cerns re­gard­ing TB (tu­ber­cu­lo­sis), having suf­fered from the con­di­tion in the past does not mean that a visa ap­pli­ca­tion will be au­to­mat­i­cally de­clined. Fol­low­ing a clar­i­fi­ca­tion of the rules in 2016, res­i­dents will no longer be au­to­mat­i­cally de­ported if they con­tract TB. How­ever, they must un­dergo screen­ing for the con­di­tion when re­new­ing their visas.

As UA’s wife was treated and cured, he can ap­ply to spon­sor her. Not all visa ap­pli­cants have to have a chest X-ray, even for a first visa. It is best to be prop­erly pre­pared, so they need to gather copies of the rel­e­vant med­i­cal record and have them legally at­tested.

They can then be quickly pro­vided if there is an is­sue or the med­i­cal fit­ness test is failed ow­ing to TB scars. The Min­istry of Health has pre­vi­ously stated that people found with scars, ac­tive TB or drug-re­sis­tant TB will be is­sued a res­i­dence visa for a year and must un­dergo treat­ment here. This is why past med­i­cal records are help­ful in demon­strat­ing there is no fur­ther problem.

I have about Dh12,000 saved in UAE Na­tional Bonds but I will be leav­ing Abu Dhabi at the end of the year as I am re­turn­ing to my home coun­try. I have won a few prizes with my bonds so I would like to keep them, but can I still hold them, and win, if I am no longer res­i­dent in the UAE? AM, Abu Dhabi

UAE Na­tional Bonds are avail­able to both UAE res­i­dents and non-res­i­dents so there is no is­sue in AM re­tain­ing his hold­ing af­ter leav­ing the UAE. Con­tact in­for­ma­tion will need to be up­dated as cor­re­spon­dence is sent by text mes­sage and/or email. If the email address changes, this can be up­dated by log­ging in to the Na­tional Bonds web­site but for a change of tele­phone num­ber AM must call Na­tional Bonds on 600 522279 or from out­side the UAE on +971 4384 8000. What are the re­dun­dancy rules for em­ploy­ees on lim­ited con­tracts? I man­age a small com­pany of 10 em­ploy­ees and one depart­ment is cost­ing us a lot more than it brings in, so we are look­ing to pro­ceed with re­dun­dancy. The af­fected em­ployee is on a lim­ited twoyear con­tract and the pro­ba­tion pe­riod is al­ready fin­ished. What do we need to pay in com­pen­sa­tion? AS, Abu Dhabi Com­pa­nies can make staff re­dun­dant for gen­uine fi­nan­cial rea­sons and there is no spe­cific leg­is­la­tion for re­dun­dancy over and above the stan­dard rules for UAE Labour Law. This is not classed as ar­bi­trary dis­missal. If an em­ployee is on a lim­ited con­tract and is ter­mi­nated part way through, Ar­ti­cle 115 ap­plies. This states: “Should the em­ploy­ment con­tract be of a de­ter­mined term, and the em­ployer re­scind same for rea­sons not set forth in Ar­ti­cle 120, he shall be bound to com­pen­sate the worker for the dam­age in­curred thereto, pro­vided that the com­pen­sa­tion amount does not ex­ceed in any case the to­tal wage due for the pe­riod of three months or for the re­main­ing pe­riod of the con­tract, whichever is shorter, un­less oth­er­wise stip­u­lated in the con­tract.”

Ar­ti­cle 120 refers to rea­sons an em­ployee can be dis­missed with­out no­tice or ad­di­tional pay­ment, such as break­ing the law, be­ing ab­sent with­out per­mis­sion or dur­ing a pro­ba­tion­ary pe­riod. Along with the com­pen­sa­tion for break­ing the terms of the con­tract, the em­ployer may be li­able for other pay­ments. Any days of an­nual leave that have ac­crued and not been taken must be paid in full. If the em­ployee has been with the com­pany for more than a full year, an end-of-ser­vice gra­tu­ity is payable, cal­cu­lated as “the wage of 21 days for each of the first five years of ser­vice”, per Ar­ti­cle 132 of Labour Law.

If an em­ployee is on a lim­ited-term con­tract, they are only en­ti­tled to a gra­tu­ity pay­ment when they have less than five years of ser­vice if they are made re­dun­dant by the em­ployer or they do not re­new the con­tract.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UAE

© PressReader. All rights reserved.