Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser
General Knowledge Quiz
1. Who wrote The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe?
A J.R.R. Tolkien
B Lewis Carroll
C J.K. Rowling
D C.S. Lewis
2. In the castle of which West Yorkshire market town did Richard II die?
3. Which US heavy rock band did English-born guitarist Slash join? A Metallica
B Guns N’ Roses
C Dire Straits
D The Offspring
4. Which artificial element is represented by the symbol Es? A Einsteinium
5. What form of rapid writing is associated with Sir Isaac Pitman?
A Hieroglyphics B Joined up writing C Shorthand D Cursive 6. What is the name of the Detective Chief Inspector played by Roger Allam in Endeavour?
A John Tuesday B Fred Thursday C Frank Monday D Bill Friday
7. Which group of British painters included Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John Everett Millais and William Holman Hunt?
A The Impressionists
B The Pre-raphaelite Brotherhood C The Surrealists
D The Post-raphaelite Brotherhood
8. Who played the title role in the 1950s TV series Ivanhoe?
A Sean Connery B Roger Moore C John Wayne D Clint Eastwood 9. Which sleep disorder is also called somnambulism?
A Nightmares B Insomnia C Bedwetting D Sleepwalking
10. What is the capital of Morocco?
11. Who won the 1996 Solheim Cup?
A Great Britain
12. Which member of the Jackson family released the album The Velvet Rope?
A Michael Jackson
B La Toya Jackson
C Tito Jackson
D Janet Jackson
13. Whose only opera was Fidelio?
14. Who wrote The Murders in the Rue Morgue?
A H P Lovecraft B Stephen King C Clive Barker D Edgar Allan Poe
15. Which hexagonal musical instrument similar to the accordion was invented by Sir Charles Wheatstone?