Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser
BOOZY CHOCOLATE CREAM ROULADE
■ 175g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa) ■175gcastersugar
■1tbsp liqueur (optional,canbereplacedwith sugar)
Forthetopping: Icheated!iorderedhollyleavesfromamazon, oryoucanjustdustwithicingsugar
1. You need a 23 x 33cm Swiss roll tin. Preheat the oven to 180/160 C fan. Grease the tin with butter and then line with baking paper.
2. Start to make the sponge. Place the dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water – don’t let the bowl touch the water. Let the chocolate melt, then take off the heat, stir and set aside to cool.
3. Place the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and whisk with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Then add the chocolate to the mixture and stir it all well.
4. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they form firm peaks – but be careful not to over beat. 5. Take a large spoonful of the egg white mixture and gently mix it into the egg yolk and sugar bowl to loosen the mixture. Add in the additional egg whites followed by the cocoa powder. 6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, level it out and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until firm to touch – be careful not to overcook as it makes it more difficult to roll. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
7. Whilst the cake is cooking, you can then whip up the cream and add your chosen liqueur.
8. Dust a large baking sheet with icing sugar, and then turn your sponge onto it, peeling off the baking sheet it was cooked on.
9. Spread the sponge with the cream, leaving a couple of centimetres around the edge – it will soon spread out when you roll it up.
10. Roll up the sponge as gently as possible – just like a Swiss roll. Take your time and don’t rush!
11. Leave the roll in the paper for a while to ensure it holds its shape. Then when ready to eat, dust with icing sugar or with whatever decoration you chose.