Scots vic­to­ri­ous af­ter sec­ond half surge

Argyllshire Advertiser - - SPORT -

Scot­land bat­tled back from eight points down to beat Ireland 14-12 and lift the Marine Har­vest Quaich at the Bught Park on Satur­day.

The Scots went into the match on the back of four suc­ces­sive home vic­to­ries and led by cap­tain Grant Irvine of Kyles Ath­letic.

Ireland started on a soft pitch with a strong wind in their favour and Scot­land spent most of the first half pinned back.

The home side were six points down in the open­ing 20 min­utes, the Ir­ish tak­ing ad­van­tage of the wind with straight­for­ward sin­gle-point­ers from range.

All the home side had to of­fer for their first half ef­forts was a two­point Kevin Bartlett free-hit as they trailed 10-2 at the mid point of the match.

Scot­land came out for the sec­ond half with wind ad­van­tage and showed their in­tent as Ar­ran MacPhee and Roddy Mac­don­ald both had early at­tempts at goal.

Kevin Bartlett drove the ball be­tween the posts to make it 10-4 and the come-back was on.

Bartlett added an­other two-pointer from left of cen­tre on 52 min­utes to make it 10-6.

Scot­land cap­tain Grant Irvine took a blow to the top of the head and, with blood stream­ing down his

Scot­land U21 squad named

Scot­land U21 head coach Alan MacRae has named his squad for the shinty/hurl­ing meet­ing with Ireland U21 at the GAA Na­tional Games De­vel­op­ment Cen­tre in Ab­bot­stown, Dublin, on Satur­day Novem­ber 3.

Throw-in is at 2pm and Archie Ritchie is the match ref­eree.

Scot­land U21: Scott MacLach­lan, In­ver­aray; Lach­lan Smith, Glenurquhart; Rory MacKeachan, Kin­gussie; Daniel Sloss, Oban Ca­manachd; Robert Mabon, Kin­gussie; Craig Ritchie, New­ton­more; Blair Mor­ri­son, Caber­feidh, cap­tain; Iain Richard­son, New­ton­more; Ross MacMil­lan, Oban Celtic; John Gil­lies, Skye Ca­manachd; Calum Grant, Kin­gussie; Danny Kelly, Lo­vat; Jon­nie Ma­cAskill, Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll; Calum Shep­herd, Fort Wil­liam; Innes Black­hall, Kil­mallie; Will Cowie, Skye Ca­manachd; Alexander MacMil­lan, Fort Wil­liam; Find­lay Mac­Don­ald, Lochaber; Iain Robin­son, New­ton­more; Roddy Young, Kin­gussie. face, he came off to re­ceive stitches.

An­drew MacCuish capped his de­but with a point as he ran onto a loose ball be­fore swip­ing it over to make it 11-7.

Scot­land man­ager Garry Reid added Glen MacK­in­tosh, Evan Men­zies and Greg Mathe­son with just over 20 min­utes to go and his in­ten­tions were clear.

Ja­son Forde showed his class when he dived over the top to in­crease the Ir­ish lead to 12-7.

Then Glen MacK­in­tosh pounced on a loose ball to slot the ball over the line and the Ir­ish lead was cut to two points with 66 min­utes gone.

Just a minute later, Greg Mathe­son drove the ball over from dis­tance and the con­test was tied at 12-12 with three min­utes re­main­ing.

Scot­land had the mo­men­tum, and soon a free hit of­fered a straight­for­ward op­por­tu­nity for Kevin Bartlett, who con­fi­dently stroked the ball over to make it 14-12 and, with just over a minute re­main­ing, Scot­land led for the first time in the match. Five min­utes’ stop­page time was played be­fore Ir­ish ref­eree John Keane blew for time and Scot­land cel­e­brated an­other win on home soil.

John Michael Nolan of Car­low, Ireland tan­gles with Scot­land cap­tain Grant Irvine of Kyles Ath­letic.


A blood-soaked Grant Irvine lifts the tro­phy af­ter a tight match.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.