Carers’ quiz: Do you know the impact of caring?
The Dochas Centre in Lochgilphead held an information cafe on Friday November 30, opening the eyes of visitors on the statistics of carers, and the idea that it affects more of us than you might think.
The centre offers help and support to people caring for others and is hoping to spread awareness of carers’ rights.
Test yourself with the Carers Scotland quiz, and you might be surprised the impact of caring.
1. How many adult carers are there in Scotland?
a) 759,000 b) 550,000 c) 360,000
2. How many young carers are there estimated to be in Scotland?
a) 15,000 b) 29,000 c) 35,000
3. How many people take on a caring role every year?
a) 120,000 b) 90,000 c) 160,000
4. How many people care for 35 hours a week or more?
a) 102,000 b) 153,000 c) 171,000
5. True or false: 132,000 people care for 50 hours a week or more? 6. What percentage of carers are female?
a) 59 per cent b) 70 per cent c) 45 per cent
7. What percentage of carers are male?
a) 60 per cent b) 41 per cent c) 30 per cent
8. True or false: 3 in 5 of us will become carers at some point in our lives. 9. How many people juggling caring with holding down a job?
a) 125,000 b) 200,000 c) 250,000
10. What is the main carers benefit worth just now for a minimum of 35 hours caring?
a) £62.10 b) £90.00 c) £73.10
11. What percentage of carers have been in debt at some point?
a) 25 per cent b) 36 per cent c) 47 per cent
12. How many carers say their health is worse because of caring?
a) 4 out of 10 b) 6 out of 10 c) 8 out of 10
13. What percentage of carers are employed or self-employed?
a) 25 per cent b) 42 per cent c) 56 per cent
14. By 2037, the number of carers in Scotland will have increased to what?
a) around 700,000 b) around one million c) around 900,000
15. How much do carers save the Scottish economy?
a) £8.4 billion b) £9.5 billion c) £10.3 billion
Fay MacCuish came in to hear about carers’ rights from Dochas Centre’s Catherine Paterson. 51_a49Dochas01