Dad liv­ing rough goes into rage over con­tact de­mand

■ El­liott Ever­ton, 38, who had been liv­ing in a tent, smashed win­dows at an Ash­bourne café be­cause its owner would not pass on his con­tact de­tails for his ex-part­ner and fam­ily.

Ashbourne News Telegraph - - FRONT PAGE - By MARTIN NAY­LOR martin.nay­lor@reach­ @Imo­nan­oth­er­plan

A 38-YEAR-OLD man liv­ing in a tent smashed win­dows at an Ash­bourne café be­cause its owner would not pass on con­tact de­tails for his ex-part­ner and daugh­ter.

Derby Crown Court was told how El­liott Ever­ton was in a re­la­tion­ship with the café owner’s sis­ter – but she left him, tak­ing their daugh­ter with her.

Ever­ton de­manded the café owner put him in touch with them.

Af­ter she re­fused, Ever­ton threw bricks through the win­dow of the Tun­nel Café, in Church Street, and ripped up plant pots.

The of­fences put Ever­ton in breach of a sus­pended sen­tence or­der handed to him af­ter he punched a man so hard the vic­tim had to have his lower teeth re­moved.

Will Ben­nett, de­fend­ing Ever­ton, told the lat­est court hear­ing: “These of­fences took place at a time when his life was fairly chaotic.

“Af­ter his part­ner left him with their teenage daugh­ter, he found him­self home­less and, for the past 10 months, he has been liv­ing in a tent.

“He does not know where they live and asked the com­plainant for con­tact de­tails so he could speak to his daugh­ter but she re­fused.

“He was pre­vi­ously us­ing drugs but he has sadly sub­sti­tuted his drug use with the use of al­co­hol and in drunken mo­ments he feels sorry for him­self and then goes out and com­mits these of­fences.

“It is no ex­cuse, it is some­thing he re­grets.”

Mark Knowles, prose­cut­ing, said the two crim­i­nal dam­age of­fences took place at the Tun­nel Cafe, in Church Street, on sep­a­rate dates in July.

He said: “The com­plainant re­ported var­i­ous in­stances of dam­age at the cafe in­clud­ing smashed win­dows and rip­ping up of flower pots be­tween March and July of this year.

“She sus­pected it was this de­fen­dant and so paid to have CCTV in­stalled which cap­tured him on July 8 and 18 car­ry­ing out the dam­age.

“In her vic­tim per­sonal state­ment she says she has had to close the cafe for sev­eral hours at a time, while she clears up af­ter the dam­age.

“She also said she has paid £200 to have the CCTV in­stalled and has to pay for it to be mon­i­tored.”

Ever­ton, 38, pleaded guilty to two counts of crim­i­nal dam­age. He also ad­mit­ted to be­ing in breach of a sus­pended sen­tence im­posed at Derby Crown Court in April 2017 for as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm.

Mr Knowles said that stemmed from an ar­gu­ment in Ash­bourne where Ever­ton punched a man to the face so hard he “knocked him off his feet”.

He said the vic­tim in that case had to have his lower teeth re­moved be­cause of the in­juries Ever­ton caused.

Judge Jonathan Ben­nett jailed Ever­ton for 21 days, telling him: “These were quite dis­turb­ing of­fences and while on one hand peo­ple might see this and think ‘it’s just a win­dow and a few flow­ers at a café’ it had a very big im­pact on her and her busi­ness.”

As well as the jail term, Ever­ton was handed a two-year re­strain­ing or­der not to go within 50 me­tres of the café or the vic­tim’s home ad­dress.

El­liott Ever­ton, in­set, and the Tun­nel Cafe in Church Street, where the in­ci­dent oc­curred.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.