De Dietrich’s six-wheeler
7 December 1907
IF THE SIGHT of an automobile on the roads was still relatively rare even in the mid-1900s, one can only imagine what the population of central London made of this six-wheeled creation by the French De Dietrich company.
The car – imported by Jarrott and Letts of Great Marlborough Street, London – was known as a limousines de voyage, a superluxury model that was one of a handful of six-wheelers built by Baron De Dietrich’s firm. It cost about £4000.
This six-wheeler was, explained Autocar, “placed at the disposal of the Swazi chiefs, and the above photograph was secured just before their start to inspect the King’s horses at Buckingham Palace”.