Ice cream parlour gets coned over hygiene inspection
A seafront ice cream parlour has been licked by hygiene experts.
The long- established Waverley Cafe in Ayr was slammed for dirt and not following proper food handling procedures.
Uncovered ice cream wafers and chocolate flakes were found in the service area.
And in a fridge defrosted lorne sausage was on the same shelf as cheese slices and cooked ham.
Rules say all raw foods must be at the bottom of the fridge to stop cross contimination.
Inspectors from South Ayrshire Council also noted the woman preparing grub was wearing a cardigan over her apron, rather than under it as you would expect for hygiene.
She took the cardie off at the time of the visit to the Bath Place diner on April 12.
Another inspection is due this week to ensure compliance after an official “improvement required” notice was imposed.
Unwashed salad veg was being stored on the same shelf as cooked meat and temperature records were not available since last June.
Seven areas inside were classed as “dirty”: the ice cream serving floor, a fan, the window sill, ladders, the fridge door, framework of the sales counter and pipework and floor to side of the deep fat fryers.
The flooring in the ice cream area was defective – an issue raised by inspectors a year ago.
A number of other matters were found including a door that could allow pests in, damaged sales counter, mouldy freezer seals and no hand dryer in the gents’ loo.
The Waverley Cafe did not comment.