Pooch ill on Prestwick sands
Further dog owners have come forward this week with their tales of the mystery toxin on beaches.
Lilias Douglas was looking after her daughter’s Working Cocker Spaniel Alfie when the poor pooch was violently sick after visiting Prestwick beach.
Mum- of- three Lilias panicked as curious Alfie uncovered what she believes was a lump of Palm Oil last Sunday.
And she warns other dog owners: “It’s still there”.
Lilias, 78, said: “I just caught him nosing at something and he’d got a bit of it.
“He was only at it for seconds.
“But I saw him eat something.
“I picked it up and it looks exactly like the Palm Oil pictured in the Post.
“I wrapped it in a poop bag and discarded it.
“He was violently sick and then he got a horrible cough.
“And has been off- colour every since.
Little Alfie is on the mend but Lilias says others need to keep a watchful eye over their pets.
She said :“He’ s recovering but it’s to warn anyone else.
“The last reported incident had been October 17, but this happened on Sunday [ October 21].
“It’s still there.
“We phoned the vet because Sunday afternoon there was nobody open.
“As you can imagine, I was looking after him while my daughter was abroad and it was just awful.
“My daughter got home on the Sunday night and came down from Gourock to collect him.
“He’s okay now but he’s not 100 percent.
“He’s a darling - such a happy wee thing.
Lilias joked: “I’ve got three girls and they’ve all got dogs and I’m the kennel.
“I don’t think I’ll be doing it again soon.”