Pooch ill on Prest­wick sands

Ayrshire Post - - News -

Fur­ther dog own­ers have come for­ward this week with their tales of the mys­tery toxin on beaches.

Lil­ias Dou­glas was look­ing after her daugh­ter’s Work­ing Cocker Spaniel Al­fie when the poor pooch was vi­o­lently sick after vis­it­ing Prest­wick beach.

Mum- of- three Lil­ias pan­icked as cu­ri­ous Al­fie un­cov­ered what she be­lieves was a lump of Palm Oil last Sun­day.

And she warns other dog own­ers: “It’s still there”.

Lil­ias, 78, said: “I just caught him nos­ing at some­thing and he’d got a bit of it.

“He was only at it for sec­onds.

“But I saw him eat some­thing.

“I picked it up and it looks ex­actly like the Palm Oil pic­tured in the Post.

“I wrapped it in a poop bag and dis­carded it.

“He was vi­o­lently sick and then he got a hor­ri­ble cough.

“And has been off- colour ev­ery since.

Lit­tle Al­fie is on the mend but Lil­ias says oth­ers need to keep a watch­ful eye over their pets.

She said :“He’ s re­cov­er­ing but it’s to warn any­one else.

“The last re­ported in­ci­dent had been Oc­to­ber 17, but this hap­pened on Sun­day [ Oc­to­ber 21].

“It’s still there.

“We phoned the vet be­cause Sun­day af­ter­noon there was no­body open.

“As you can imag­ine, I was look­ing after him while my daugh­ter was abroad and it was just aw­ful.

“My daugh­ter got home on the Sun­day night and came down from Gourock to col­lect him.

“He’s okay now but he’s not 100 per­cent.

“He’s a dar­ling - such a happy wee thing.

Lil­ias joked: “I’ve got three girls and they’ve all got dogs and I’m the ken­nel.

“I don’t think I’ll be do­ing it again soon.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.