NATALIE DIES IN XMAS TREE BLAZE
Student nurse is killed in horror fire
A teenage student n nurse was killed by a fe ferocious blaze fuelled b by her family’s bone- dry C Christmas tree.
Tragic Natalie Merry, 18, a former Prestwick Academy pupil, was pronounced dead at the scene after fire ripped through her three- bedroom home in York Street, Ayr, on Sunday night.
The UWS student was at the property with her boyfriend, Alistair Innes, 22, and mother Jennifer, 49, who were both taken to hospital for treatment. Alistair was forced to jump from a first floor bedroom.
Fire investigators believe a candle flame ignited the real Christmas tree in the lounge.
Shattered Alistair posted on Twitter: “I am absolutely heartbroken.”
Emotional tributes have been pouring in for an 18- year- old girl who was killed by a fire in her home.
Tragic Natalie Merry, who was a student nurse at the University of the West of Scotland, was pronounced dead at the scene after emergency services were called to the houst in Ayr’s York Street house shortly after 8pm on Sunday.
The former Prestwick Academy pupil, who passed her driving test last month, was believed to be in the property with her boyfriend Alistair Innes and mother, Jennifer.
Support worker Jennifer, 49, was rushed to hospital along with Natalie’s boyfriend of two years, 22- year- old Alistair.
On social media devastated Alistair said: “I am absolutely heartbroken. I had the happiest and best two years of my life, she made me so happy.
“Going to miss waking up to her beautiful wee face everyday.
“Love you so much Natalie.” Tributes from devastated pals also came in following the news.
Friend Meghan Wills said: “My heart is absolutely breaking.
“Natalie was one of the most kind and caring people I’ve ever met and never failed to make me smile. She will always be in my heart.”
Fire engulfed the three- bedroom home within minutes, neighbours revealed.
The house is one of six private homes in the York Street terrace and people from flats in a warehouse conversion across the road looked on in horror.
Intense flames poured out of the windows and four fire engines were called out.
One neighbour said: “We were watching TV but fortunately someone came and knocked our door. We had no idea, it was just some random person who warned us to get out.
“Outside it was pandemonium, people didn’t know what was going on. Smoke was pouring out the windows and we could also see flames, then the fire brigade arrived.
“We just don’t know whether the family was rescued or whether they managed out themselves.”
Debris in the front garden included a single mattress. The inside was completely destroyed.
Another neighbour said: “About 2am power workers arrived and began digging up the front garden to try and shut off the services. We didn’t know the family but it is devastating.”
Neighbours on either side of the gutted home were too upset to comment.
A police guard and a fire engine remained on the scene on Monday.
Ayrshire fire chief James Scott said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 8.22pm on Sunday, January 6, to reports of a fire in a two storey dwelling on York Street, Ayr.
“Operations Control immediately mobilised a number of fire engines and firefighters extinguished the fire.
“Sadly, one woman passed away at the scene.
“Our thought are with all of those who are affected at this time.”
A police spokeswoman said: ““An 18- year- old woman was pronounced dead at the scene. A post- mortem examination will take place to establish the exact cause of death. Her family have been made aware.
“A 22- year- old man and a 49- yearold woman were taken to Ayr Hospital for treatment.
“The fire was extinguished by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and a joint investigation has been launched to establish the circumstances.”
home in Ayr Burnt out The Natalie Merr y where teenager died at the weekend
Together Natalie with boyfriend Alistair