MY INSPIRATION FOR THIS BUILD CAME FROM RSD’S (ROLAND SANDS DESIGNS) KTM 450 DESERT SLED. AS A FAN OF STEVE MCQUEEN, AND THE MOVIE ‘ON ANY SUNDAY’, I WANTED TO PAY TRIBUTE TO HIS LOVE OF OFFROAD MOTORCYCLING, AND THOUGHT IT APT TO NAME MY BUILD ‘BULLET’ IN A HOMAGE TO THE MOVIE. (YES, YES, I KNOW THE FILM IS CALLED ‘BULLITT’.) used my own KTM 950 SMR with low mileage as a starting point, and the goal was to create a retro feel for it, despite its modern appendages. Though RSD’s build is an absolute beaut, the radiator on it looks completely out of place – my goal was to make the rad’ blend in better with the motorcycle’s lines.
The subframe was ditched, and a new rear was made and welded to the frame. The radiator tanks were cut off, and new ones made to facilitate flipping them 90 degrees, and then spinning them 180 to get them slightly narrower, and to flow better with the fuel
tank. Four millimetre rad’ guards were made for protection, while keeping the ascetics of the build in mind. A front ’guard brace was made, and new front n’ rear ’guards rolled. I didn’t want the oil tank to stick out like a sore thumb, so I built a skid-plate with a double liner that protrudes through the swingarm as the oil tank, and a new catch-tank was made, and fitted between the frame rails.
Multistrada enduro wheels (17-inch rear/19-inch front) were obtained, and modified to fit, and with an oversized disc on the left front fork (the RHS had the caliper mount removed to eliminate the bulky feel of the twin discs). The forks were raised half an inch in the yokes to offset the 19-inch wheel and, to complete the front end, a set of fork guards were made.
A set of KustomTech classic-line master-cylinders were installed for brake and clutch duty, and a custom housing for the switchgear, and a handlebar mount, were fabricated, with all wires running through the ’bars and steering neck tube for a clean look. I made a billet tail light with LEDs, the headlight is from a VW Golf with custom-made bucket and bezel, and a segmented (piecut) stainless steel exhaust with a custom set of mufflers were made and polished up.
All the alloy and stainless was given a brushed look to show off the aluminium, and clear-coated with black and grey here and there added in for a bit of colour. Everything was hand-fabricated by me, and I also did the seat, and the paint job myself too.