Berf­fro cause sec­ond big up­set in a week

Bangor Mail - - COMMUNITY EVENTS -

LIGHT­NING struck twice as Aberf­fraw caused a ma­jor up­set in a na­tional knock­out com­pe­ti­tion for a sec­ond week­end run­ning.

Hot on the heels of a stun­ning Welsh Cup win over Welsh Al­liance Di­vi­sion One side Llan­r­wst United, Abergele Town from the same level per­ished at Cae Cyn­las as Gwynedd League gi­antkillers Berf­fro recorded a 2-0 vic­tory in their first-ever FAW Tro­phy tie.

The hosts lined up un­changed from the Llan­r­wst game and the early ex­changes were tight and tense with no holds barred in the mid­field.

Gele en­joyed the early share of pos­ses­sion, as was to be ex­pected given their lofty sta­tus, but with the pace of front two Gary Bolton and Richard Roberts, the is­lan­ders looked dan­ger­ous on the break again.

Aberf­fraw keeper Gavin Roberts was forced into a su­perb save on 15 min­utes when a free kick bob­bled right in front of him, but he showed fan­tas­tic re­flexes to tip around the post.

With just over 20 min­utes on the clock the visi­tors were re­duced to 10 men af­ter their cap­tain was sent off fol­low­ing an al­ter­ca­tion

Soon af­ter Berf­fro were in dream­land as they took the lead.

Con­nor Rees took pos­ses­sion mid­way in the op­po­si­tion half and drilled in a cross, Roberts did well to chal­lenge the on­rush­ing keeper and the ball dropped per­fectly for Bolton to drill first time into the bot­tom cor­ner.

Abergele re­grouped well and keeper Roberts was again on top form when he pro­duced another out­stand­ing save.

The next goal in the game was to be cru­cial and with the clock tick­ing to­wards half time Berf­fro struck to dou­ble our lead with a su­perb freeflow­ing move.

Ieuan Lloyd was sharp into a tackle in mid­field and sped away from his marker, his ball through to Roberts was per­fectly weighted and the striker fed the un­marked Bolton, who from eight yards out was never go­ing to miss.

Abergele came out strongly for the sec­ond half, but Aberf­fraw de­fended su­perbly with cus­to­dian Roberts show­ing great han­dling when called upon.

The An­gle­sey side also had chances to in­crease their ad­van­tage.

Good play down the left by John Earn­shaw led to Matty Reynolds pick­ing up the ball wide and his beau­ti­fully curled shot had the keeper beaten all ends up, but un­for­tu­nately for the hosts hit the post and bounced to safety.

Bolton went close to grab­bing his hat-trick late on when his header at the far post al­most found the net.

As the game wore on, Abergele pushed hard for a way back into the game and threw more men for­ward but they strug­gled to break through a rock-solid de­fence where man of the match Steve Jenk­ins was out­stand­ing.

There is yet another big cup date on for Aberf­fraw this Satur­day when they visit fel­low Gwynedd League side Y Felin­heli in the In­ter­me­di­ate Cup.

Gary Bolton scores (all blue No9) for Aberf­fraw against Abergele in the FAW Tro­phy. Pic­ture: PAUL HARPER

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.