Bro go through af­ter Cup penal­ties thriller

Bangor Mail - - SPORT -

BRO Goronwy pro­gressed to the next round of the Cw­pan Medi­tel Gwynedd Cup af­ter a thrilling tie at Ne­fyn United fin­ished 5-3 on penal­ties to the vis­i­tors fol­low­ing a 4-4 draw.

It was sweet re­venge for the Anglesey side, who had lost 3-1 at Cae'r De­lyn in a Gwynedd League en­counter at the start of Oc­to­ber.

An end-to-end cup tus­sle on the Lleyn last Satur­day could have seen ei­ther team ad­vance, but ul­ti­mately it was the is­lan­ders who came through on a shoot-out.

Sim­i­lar to the pre­vi­ous league fix­ture be­tween these two sides, Ne­fyn struck early to open the scor­ing, Dafydd Jones ben­e­fit­ing from the pull back to give the home side an im­me­di­ate ad­van­tage af­ter only two min- utes played.

Bro soon pulled level and then started to take con­trol of the first half, Pat Roberts send­ing in an in­swing­ing free kick that evaded a crowded box to leave Cal­lum Thomas to ram home at the far post for 1-1.

Goronwy took the lead on the stroke of the half-hour, Pat Roberts' ex­quis­ite lofted ball per­fectly find­ing the run of mid­fielder Gra­ham Jones, whose deft touch worked a treat be­fore he prod­ded past the gloves­man with ease.

Bro pushed for fur­ther goals be­fore the break to no avail.

If the away side looked the bet­ter in the open­ing pe­riod, it was the hosts that came out the brighter af­ter the in­ter­val with play­maker Dafydd Jones drop­ping into the hole to dic­tate the at­tack­ing threats.

His in­flu­ence told in mak­ing it 2-2, slip­ping in the wide­man to set up Daniel Roberts' far post equaliser.

Ne­fyn pushed to look for the next goal, Jones again dom­i­nant, send­ing a shot straight at Jonny Sweet­serHawkes and then closer still af­ter danc­ing around de­fend­ers only to chip into the side-net­ting.

A loop­ing Andy Wil­liams header put the vis­i­tors back ahead in the tie but a mix-up in the Bro defence al­lowed Dy­lan Sion Jones to chip the ball into the net for 3-3 and he so nearly won the game late on only for the ball to strike back off the post to send this storm­ing en­counter into ex­tra time.

The goals kept on flow­ing in the added time, both Christ­mas crack­ers wor­thy of win­ning the day, but the sides could not be sep­a­rated.

Cal­lum Thomas sent a rocket of a shot fly­ing into the top cor­ner to once again put Bro back in front only for Dafydd Jones to fire a low free kick into the cor­ner of the net to leave the score at 4-4 with a penal­ties con­test needed.

The only blem­ish from the spot found Ne­fyn's Jones place his kick onto the cross­bar, leav­ing Lee Pot­ter's men to net all five of their takes to gain their re­ward.

Andy Wil­liams, Rob Ti­es­teel, Sam Roberts, Aled Jones and Jac Thomas all kept their cool to give the vil­lagers of Cae Nerys a po­ten­tially cork­ing lo­cal derby against Me­nai Bridge Tigers in the next round.

Andy Wil­liams cel­e­brates scor­ing for Bro Goronwy ear­lier this sea­son against Aberffraw. Wil­liams was on the mark last Satur­day as Bro tri­umphed at Ne­fyn United in the Gwynedd Cup

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.