Val­ley tri­umph against the odds again

Bangor Mail - - BUSINESS -

TOP-SCORER Justin Wil­liams struck twice as Val­ley tri­umphed 3-1 at Pentraeth Re­serves in the Kon-X An­gle­sey League’s Car Boot Tro­phy.

With the game in doubt on Satur­day morn­ing due to the re­cent weather, a lot of hard work was needed to make the pitch playable, but af­ter an in­spec­tion half-an-hour prior to kick off the sur­face was passed fit.

Val­ley were again down to the bare bones play­ers-wise, with the likes of cap­tain Barry Roberts, Ash­ley Hughes and Ryan Hay­wood un­avail­able. Also man­ager Barry Row­lands was un­able to make the be­gin­ning of the game due to an un­ex­pected work-re­lated emer­gency call.

This meant the team was led by for­mer man­ager Dan Jones.

De­fender Sam Mor­ris and mid­field­ers Luke Miles and Marc Wil­son all re­turned to the start­ing line-up, changes hav­ing been made on the back of Val­ley’s Dargie Cup loss to Bryngwran Bulls the pre­vi­ous week­end.

At­trac­tive foot­ball was never go­ing to be played in the con­di­tions and it was a case of do what was nec­es­sary in or­der to keep the ball.

First chance fell to Val­ley, Justin Wil­liams run­ning at the de­fence and slip­ping the ball to Wil­son, who dragged his ef­fort wide.

The Pentraeth young­sters were a threat go­ing for­ward but each at­tack saw keeper Jamie Owen on hand to keep it at 0-0.

The dead­lock was bro­ken when Nik Kon­to­dios played in Justin Wil­liams, who slipped the ball un­der the ad­vanc­ing keeper.

Val­ley dou­bled their lead af­ter the in­ter­val when a left-footed flag-kick from left-back Justin Tay­lor curled right into the top cor­ner.

Kon­ner Druce was his usual en­er­getic self, and even in the wet con­di­tions he was able to run at the de­fence and al­though seem­ing to be fouled, man­aged to get the ball to Wil­liams, who made no mis­take for his 28th goal of the sea­son.

Pentraeth grabbed a late con­so­la­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.