Gogs chase top four as poor run halted

Bangor Mail - - SPORT -

RGC travel to Premier­ship bot­tom side Bar­goed this Satur­day know­ing a vic­tory would clinch them a top-four place.

After three suc­ces­sive de­feats, the Gogs bounced back in style last week­end with a 43-36 home tri­umph over New­port.

The open­ing 10 min­utes went in the vis­i­tors’ favour, with two penal­ties from the boot of Matt O’Brien.

After go­ing six points down, RGC were sparked into ac­tion with a cou­ple of at­tack­ing runs from Afon Bagshaw, but the ball did not go to hand at the cru­cial point.

The open­ing home try came from Danny Cross, who ran a good line to take the ball and go over. Ja­cob Bot­ica added the ex­tras.

The vis­i­tors re­gained the lead when Joe Bartlett pow­ered over and O’Brien was on form with the con­ver­sion.

When RGC be­gan to fire, the back­line were mak­ing some good run­ning lines and cen­tre Ti­aan Loots picked up the sec­ond home try, Bot­ica adding the ex­tras.

Try num­ber three ar­rived fol­low­ing some good foot­work from Dion Jones. He man­aged to keep the ball in touch with the boot and touched down over the white­wash.

Bot­ica ex­tended the lead with the kick.

O’Brien re­duced the deficit to 21-19 with penal­ties ei­ther side of half time for the Black and Am­bers.

WRU Na­tional Cup fi­nal­ists New­port were play­ing their fi­nal fix­ture of the sea­son, and clearly did not travel north for a day out, as they took the game to RGC.

How­ever, Gogs winger Bagshaw con­tin­ued his re­cent good form with a great try, as once again he showed his pace and left the de­fence be­hind. Bot­ica split the posts again for 28-19.

Both sides traded tries as the game ebbed and flowed, with re­place­ment El­liot Frewen cross­ing for the vis­i­tors and O’Brien kicking the bonus.

Again RGC hit back with man-ofthe-match Loots claim­ing his sec­ond try, Bot­ica con­vert­ing again.

RGC spurned a cou­ple of good chances as well, in­clud­ing a great break from Alex Sch­warz, but his pass just failed to find the hands of the sup­port­ing Loots.

Another break from Iolo Evans ended with him be­ing tack­led when the pass was on to his right.

The vis­i­tors got back on the score­board when Owen Davies pow­ered over on 71 min­utes, with O’Brien adding the con­ver­sion and then a penalty to edge New­port 36-35 ahead.

Credit to RGC, they did not panic and Bot­ica kicked a dif­fi­cult penalty to get his side back in the lead.

New­port were re­duced to 14 men after try-scorer Bartlett was shown the yel­low card after a high tackle. The game ended with a Iolo Evans try, after the winger read the play and col­lected a cross-field New­port kick to power over the line.

Steve Lewis

RGCs no 11 Iolo Evans in mid­field ac­tion

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.