Cefni up for mas­sive Welsh Cup clash

Bangor Mail - - MOTORS -

LLANGEFNI Town will need no mo­ti­vat­ing ahead of this Satur­day’s huge Welsh Cup third round clash at Lon Tal­wrn against Welsh Pre­mier League vis­i­tors Llanelli Town (2.30pm).

It prom­ises to be a mas­sive test for the Welsh Al­liance Di­vi­sion One lead­ers against op­po­nents from two lev­els above.

Llanelli are next-to-bot­tom of the WPL, but their re­cent form is much im­proved, a 2-0 win over Cefn Druids fol­lowed by a 2-2 draw against Caernar­fon Town at Ste­bon­heath Park last Satur­day.

Cefni, mean­while, bounced back from their first de­feat of the sea­son in mid­week - a 2-1 home loss to Llanrug United in the league - by pip­ping Llan­dudno Al­bion on penal­ties in the Cook­son Cup three days later. It was, re­mark­ably, Llangefni’s first away match since the end of Au­gust, hav­ing played 13 home games in a row in the en­su­ing three months.

Town came out of the blocks well but with only eight min­utes on the clock an er­ror in de­fence al­lowed Al­bion to go in front with a neat fin­ish from Dave Mad­dock.

Four min­utes later Cefni lev­elled when Liam Mor­ris got on the end of a great cross from Cai-Pow­ell Roberts.

It re­mained 1-1 up to half time, then there was con­tro­versy early in the sec­ond pe­riod when the Al­bion keeper clearly han­dled out­side his area to pre­vent a goal, but was only shown yel­low.

Iwan Jones made sure the vis­i­tors got some jus­tice as he con­verted the re­sult­ing free-kick.

Llangefni were re­duced to 10 men af­ter Chris Saxon re­ceived a yel­low card for what seemed to be a per­fectly-timed tackle and then on 62 min­utes lashed out in frus­tra­tion and was sent off for a sec­ond cau­tion.

Ten-man Town de­fied the odds when ea­gle-eyed Kevin Lloyd saw the keeper off his line and from half­way some­how found the back of the net to make it 3-1.

Al­bion ral­lied and Mad­dock scored again be­fore a very late equaliser from Pete Jones forced ex­tra time.

The added half-hour de­liv­ered no goals although Al­bion thought they had scored only for the ref­eree to rule the ball had not crossed the line, so the quarterfinal would have to be de­cided on penal­ties and Cefni edged it 6-5.

In mid­week, Llangefni led Llanrug 1-0 through Matthew Jones’ net-fin­der mid­way through the first half, but 10 min­utes later home keeper Liam Ewing was red­carded af­ter bring­ing down Carl Grif­fiths in the box.

For­mer Llanrug striker Alan Mark Owen came on to re­place Ewing be­tween the sticks, but his first job was to pick Jonathan Sadler’s spot-kick out of the net.

United brought on Aaron Hughes for Gavin Lloyd-Jones on the hour, and the sub­sti­tute’s im­pact was im­me­di­ate.

Within a minute, Hughes made it 2-1 with a su­perb fin­ish into the top right hand cor­ner.

Ten min­utes from time, Llanrug’s Llion Jones was sent off, but the vis­i­tors held on for a fa­mous win and ended Cefni’s 17-match un­de­feated streak.

Llangefni Town (blue) score in their 5-1 vic­tory over St As­aph in the last round of the Welsh Cup

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.