Be­low-par Ban­gor look to bounce back

Bangor Mail - - SPORT -

BAN­GOR City travel to Buck­ley Town this Satur­day des­per­ate to bounce back from last week­end’s dis­ap­point­ing 2-0 home loss to Guils­field in the Huws Gray Al­liance.

It was only a sec­ond league re­verse in nine out­ings for Gary Tay­lor-Fletcher’s side, but meant they missed out on go­ing sec­ond be­hind run­away lead­ers Air­bus.

City be­gan their first-ever sea­son in the sec­ond-tier of Welsh foot­ball with a home game against next op­po­nents Buck­ley back in Au­gust, and it was a good day for the Cit­i­zens as they romped to a 5-1 vic­tory.

Three points in any shape or form will be wel­come this Satur­day after such a poor show­ing against midtable Guils­field, who struck twice after the in­ter­val fol­low­ing a goal­less first half.

Tay­lor-Fletcher in­cluded him­self in the start­ing line up for the first time since he re­joined the club. With de­fend­ers Mike Wil­liams and An­thony Stephens both miss­ing there was a re­call for Yalany Baio, whilst Sam Dool also started. There was also a home de­but for goal­keeper Nathan Wol­land. Clearly these ab­sences left the po­ten­tial for de­fen­sive frail­ties and so it proved.

City had to wait un­til the quar­ter hour mark to have their first shot on tar­get as Tay­lor-Fletcher tested goal­keeper Mike Jones. Mo­ments later the player-man­ager got his head to a free kick but skewed his ef­fort wide.

Dool lifted the ball be­yond the vis­i­tors de­fence for Ja­cob Far­leigh to latch onto but he fired over. Then top-scorer Alex Dar­ling­ton shot wide from dis­tance.

Min­utes later City had to set­tle for a cor­ner when loud shouts for a penalty were waved away after a goal­mouth scram­ble in the Guils­field box.

On the half-hour City rat­tled the wood­work, but Guils­field also posed the oc­ca­sional threat on the counter. Ban­gor con­ceded a cor­ner which had to be hacked to safety by Marc Wil­liams after some un­cer­tainty in the home de­fence.

Five min­utes into the sec­ond half the match took a turn for the worse against the Cit­i­zens.

Wol­land did well to keep out a goal­bound ef­fort but from the re­sult­ing cor­ner he dropped the ball for cen­tre-back Sam Litch­field to rush in and put the vis­i­tors ahead.

In the 66th minute Jake Phillips lost pos­ses­sion and for­mer New­town striker Steve Blenk­in­sop ran clear to dou­ble the lead.

Ban­gor had to do some­thing and Tay­lor-Fletcher brought on Les Davies and Sam Jones in place of Marc Wil­liams and Dar­ling­ton.

How­ever, the vis­i­tors might have gone three-up but for an in­stinc­tive stop from Wol­land.

With 20 min­utes left Dool saw his vol­ley just clear the Guils­field cross­bar be­fore the vis­i­tors coun­tered at speed and forced Wol­land into a good one-on-one stop. Davies and Rob­bie Parry had late ef­forts for the hosts but they came to noth­ing.

A poor crowd of 179 had wit­nessed a be­low-par Ban­gor dis­play.

City: Nathan Wol­land, Sam Dool, Gary Tay­lor-Fletcher, Yalany Baio, Sam Barnes, Jor­dan Pig­gott, Jake Phillips, Alex Dar­ling­ton (Sam Jones 59), Marc Wil­liams (Les Davies 59), Rob­bie Parry, Ja­cob Far­leigh.

Pic: @event­pho­towales

City player-man­ager Gary Tay­lor-Fletcher (16) makes an at­tempt on goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.