SPICED ORANGE & WHISKY FRUIT CAKE
100g raisins; 100ml whisky; 125g Trex, at room temperature; 150g light muscovado sugar; 3 eggs, beaten; 150g self-raising flour; 1 tsp ground, mixed spice; 25g walnut pieces. Frosting: 150g butter (at room temperature); 300g icing sugar; 8 walnut halves; orange slices
1. The day before making the cake, put the raisins, whisky, orange zest and orange juice into a bowl. Cover and soak overnight.
2. Position the oven shelves towards the centre of the oven. Preheat to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease two 20cm (8in) sandwich tins with Trex and line the bases with greaseproof paper
3. Beat the Trex and sugar together until light and creamy, then gradually beat in the eggs. Strain and reserve the liquid from the raisins, and stir 2 tbsp into the cake mixture. Add the raisins, orange zest and walnuts. Sift in the flour and spice and fold in with a metal spoon. Share between the tins and level.
4. Bake for 20-22 minutes. They should be golden brown, and when touched lightly the tops should spring back into place. Cool the tins for a few minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack. Peel off the lining paper and leave until cold.
5. Beat the butter and icing sugar together until creamy. Add 2-3tbsp of the whisky liquid and beat well. Spread half the mixture over one cake and place the second cake on top. Spread the remaining frosting over the cake and decorate with walnut halves and orange slices.