LASAGNE LAYERED BAKED POTATO
INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
4 large baking potatoes
FOR THE MEAT FILLING:
1 onion, finely chopped; 2 garlic cloves, crushed; 1–2tbsps olive oil; 400g lean minced beef; 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated; 400g can chopped tomatoes; 70g tomato purée; 250ml red wine; 500ml beef stock
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
2tbsps butter; 2tbsps flour; 200ml milk; 120g grated cheddar, plus extra for sprinkling; Pinch of grated nutmeg; Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare the meat filling the day before you want to serve. In a large pan, fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion has softened and started to turn light golden brown.
2. Add the beef to the pan and fry until the meat has browned. Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour until the sauce has thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool, then store in the refrigerator overnight.
3. To oven-bake the potatoes preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6. Prick the skin of your potato and rub with a little salt. Place in the oven for about an hour, depending on size.
4. Prepare the cheese sauce. Heat the butter in a pan over a gentle heat until melted, then add the flour and whisk to incorporate into the butter. Cook for a few minutes, taking care that the mixture does not burn. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Add the cheese and whisk until the cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper and a little nutmeg. Cool. 5. Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F) Gas 4. Cut the cooked potatoes into discs. Grease chef’s rings and a baking sheet with a little butter. Fold a piece of foil up around the edges of each chef’s ring and place on a baking sheet. 6. Place a large disc of potato in the bottom of each ring. The potato should fill the ring – if it does not, cut up additional pieces of potato and press into the gaps. Next, place a spoonful of the meat on top of the potato and cover with a spoonful of cheese sauce. Place another layer of potato on top and repeat with the meat and cheese layers. Sprinkle over a little extra grated cheese.
7. Bake for 15–20 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes.
8. Remove the foil, place each ring on a serving plate then lift up the ring. Serve with salad.