General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which British philosopher and utilitarianism pioneer wrote Principles of Morals and Legislation?
A Jeremy Bentham B Jeremy Stewart C Jeremy Orange D Jeremy London
2. What sort of creature is a swallowtail?
A A bird
B A fly
C A butterfly D A mammal
3. Which Russian novelist wrote Fathers and Sons?
A Ivan Turgenev B Maxim Gorki C Vladimir Nabokov D Anton Chekhov
4. Which England cricketer scored his maiden Test Century in the Bridgetown Test against the West Indies in 1998?
A Nasser Hussain B Alex Stewart C Mark Ramprakash D Darren Gough
5. Composer Carl Nielsen was born in which country?
A Austria B Hungary C Denmark D Sweden
6. Which TV game show of the 1990s was hosted by Noel Edmonds and set in the fictional village of Crinkley Bottom?
A Double Entendre B Noel’s House Party C Village Games D Edmond’s Early Doors
7. Which British F1 driver allowed team-mate Mika Hakkinen to win the 1998 Australian Grand Prix?
A Michael Schumacher B David Coulthard C Damon Hill
D Eddie Irvine
8. Who directed the 1991 film The Fisher King?
A Iain Softley B Spike Jonze C Terry Gilliam D Brad Anderson
9. Which psychologist wrote The Sane Society and The Art of Loving?
A Sigmund Freud B Erich Fromm C Karl Marx D Reinhard Frei
10. In which county in England is Scafell Pike?
A Northumberland B North Yorkshire C Derbyshire D Cumbria
11. Which Russian swimmer retained his 100m freestyle title at the 1998 world championships less than 15 months after being stabbed in Moscow?
A Alexander Putilov B Alexander Kamenev C Alexender Rustikov D Alexander Popov
12. Which singer starred alongside John Wayne in the acclaimed 1950s Western Rio Bravo?
A Frank Sinatra B Sammy Davis Jnr C Dean Martin D Glen Campbell
13. Which Croatian-born electrical engineer had the SI unit of magnetic flux density named after him?
A Nikola Tesla B Nikola Watt C Nikola Flux D Nikola Volta
14. Who played Rigsby’s longsuffering woman lodger in 70s sitcom Rising Damp?
A Frances De La Tour B Sandy Mandelson C Patricia De La Roche D Arquette Harris
15. What is the title of pop superstar Taylor Swift’s latest single, which recently entered the UK Chart at Number 3?
A Me! B You! C Us! D Them!
Singer Taylor Swift See Question 15