POT LUCK VEGETABLES WITH FIVE SPICE MIX
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
4 tbsp vegetable oil; 6oz potatoes, cut into 1in cubes; 4oz carrots, cut into 1in cubes; 5oz cauliflower, divided into 1in florets; 2 bay leaves; 1 tsp ground coriander; 1 tsp ground cumin; ½ tsp ground turmeric; ½ tsp chilli powder; ½ a small cabbage (about 7oz), finely shredded; 4oz garden peas; 1 tsp salt, or to taste; 4–5 whole fresh green chillies; 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1in chunks; 1 oz fresh coriander leaves, chopped; plain boiled rice, to serve
For the five-spice mix: ½ tsp black or brown mustard seeds; ½ tsp cumin seeds; ½ tsp fennel seeds; ½ tsp nigella seeds; 6 fenugreek seeds (or buy it ready mixed) METHOD:
1. Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a pan until it reaches smoking point, then reduce the heat slightly and add the potatoes and carrots.
2. Stir-fry for about four minutes, until they begin to brown, then remove and drain on kitchen paper. Brown the cauliflower for about three minutes, then drain the fried florets on kitchen paper.
3. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil to the pan and heat until the oil is about to smoke. Turn off the heat and add the five-spice mix ingredients. Let it crackle and pop for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the bay leaves, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder. Place the pan over a low heat and fry for about one minute.
5. Add the browned potatoes and carrots and pour in ½ pint of lukewarm water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
6. Cook for five to six minutes, then add the fried cauliflower, the shredded cabbage, peas and salt.
7. Cover and simmer for four to five minutes, then add the whole chillies, chopped tomatoes and coriander. Cook, uncovered, for two to three minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and serve with plain boiled rice.