General Knowledge Quiz
1. Who was shot by Nathuram Godse on January 30th, 1948?
A Mahatma Gandhi B Ali Khamenei C Deng Xiaoping D Umaru Dikko
2. Who wrote Tess of the D’Urbervilles and The Return of the Native?
A D.H. Lawrence B Thomas Hardy
C Laurie Lee
D Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
3. Who was deputy leader of the Labour Party from 1980 to 1983?
A Tony Blair B John Prescott C Denis Healey D Neil Kinnock
4. Which study of thinking, knowledge and truth literally means “love of wisdom” in Greek?
A Astronomy B Philosophy C Poetry D Psychology
5. What is inflamed if one is suffering from phlebitis?
A A vein
B The lungs C The tonsils D The kidneys
6. Which 2018 film sequel saw Denzel Washington reprise his role as retired CIA Black Ops agent Robert McCall?
A The Terminator 2 B The Leveller 2 C The Equalizer 2 D The Agency 2 Singer Carly Rae Jepsen See Question 15
7. Which English-born poet wrote the libretto for Stravinsky’s opera The Rake’s Progress?
A W.H. Auden B Ted Hughes C W.B. Yeats D T.S. Eliot
8. Which industrial port on the Tyne estuary is associated with the invention of the lifeboat?
A Hartlepool B Tynemouth C South Shields D Sunderland
9. What is the unrhymed iambic pentameter style used by Milton in Paradise Lost and Wordsworth in The Prelude called?
A Blank verse B Metric verse C Rhyming couplets D Terza rima
10. To which family of birds does the bittern belong?
A Eagle B Owl C Pigeon D Heron
11. What is the capital of Qatar?
A Dukhan B Al Wakrah C Lusail D Doha
12. Former husband and wife Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman first worked together on which film?
A Top Gun
B Eyes Wide Shut C Far and Away D Days of Thunder
13. Which prison formerly stood on the present site of the Old Bailey?
A Newgate B Whitemoor C Wandsworth Scrubs D Strangeways
14. What is the mathematical term for a two-dimensional closed curve having the shape of an elongated circle?
A Oval B Ellipse C Prism D Trapezium
15. What is the title of Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen’s 2012 hit which spent four weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart?
B I Really Like You C Wild Ones D Call Me Maybe