1876 win again to progress in Ju­nior Cup

Bangor Mail - - Sport - Foot­ball

spot-kick for the vis­i­tors.

Round two of the Take Stock Chal­lenge Cup saw a num­ber of thrillers es­pe­cially at Y Felinheli who beat Holy­head Town 7-6.

Gruff John (5, 1 pen) and Iwan Owen (2) were on tar­get for the home side while Asa Thomas (2), Jor­dan Mur­phy, Gary Jo Owen, Robert Thomas and Bryn Roberts scored for Town.

Sean Pritchard, Paul Bryant and An­drew Wannop were Gaerwen’s marks­men in a 3-0 win over Aml­wch Town,

Pentraeth were beaten 4-2 by Pen­maen­mawr Phoenix at Pentraeth with Owain Roberts and Rees Roberts scor­ing for the hosts and Ethan Jones, Adam Hunt, Harry Roberts and Tom Prince for the win­ners and Aberf­fraw pipped Bar­mouth and Dyf­fryn 3-2.

Else­where, Me­nai Bridge Tigers ham­mered Llannerchy­medd 6-0, Llan­goed edged Glantraeth 3-2 and Bethesda Ath­letic and Llanystumd­wy shared a thrilling 4-4 draw.

Waun­fawr were too strong for Caer­gybi, win­ning 5-2.

Bro Goronwy clinched a 1-0 vic­tory against vis­i­tors Og­wen Tigers. AN ef­fi­cient dis­play from a much-changed side en­sured Bangor 1876 pro­gressed into the next round of the NWCFA Ju­nior Cup at the ex­pense of their hosts Llanelwy Ath­letic.

The first-round match burst into life in the 26th minute when an 1876 counter at­tack led to Leon Owens tak­ing a shot from the edge of the area, be­fore the op­po­si­tion goal­keeper Joe O’Brien par­ried the ball di­rectly into the path of Dy­lan Wil­liams, who duly dis­patched the op­por­tu­nity to break the dead­lock.

How­ever, Bangor 1876’s lead lasted only five min­utes as a Llanelwy free-kick found Liam Row­land Jones, whose header took a de­flec­tion past goal­keeper Da­nial Wil­liams to level the score.

The sec­ond half be­gan with Bangor 1876 dom­i­nat­ing pos­ses­sion as they pa­tiently looked for a way through the stub­born Llanelwy de­fence.

They fi­nally got their re­ward in the 51st minute when a Shaun Lock free kick found its way to Luke Steele, who man­aged to squeeze it past goal­keeper O’Brien and into the back of the net from a tight an­gle to make it 2-1.

Bangor 1876 then opted to bring on some fresh legs.

Dy­lan Sum­mer­sJones and Jamie Petrie en­tered the fray, re­plac­ing the hard­work­ing Owens and Iwan Wil­liams re­spec­tively, and the changes soon started to pay div­i­dends as the vis­i­tors be­gan find­ing holes in the Llanelwy de­fence.

Bangor 1876’s pres­sure paid off, as Petrie’s cross into the area found Benn Lund­stram, who fired be­yond O’Brien to make the score 3-1.

From then on, the game as a con­test was ef­fec­tively over, with 1876 con­tin­u­ing to dom­i­nate and cre­ate chances.

● Holy­head’s Dean Garmey (right, in pre­vi­ous ac­tion) was among the scor­ers as Hot­spur went top of the Welsh Al­liance Di­vi­sion 1. Pic­ture: Richard Birch

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.