RGC earn fine win at Llanelli:

Bangor Mail - - Sport - Daniel Bis­sett

RGC made it back-to-back wins with a high-scor­ing vic­tory at Llanelli. Rho­dri King and Tim Grey came into the start­ing line-up, and Dan Owen was named on the bench for the first time this sea­son af­ter his long-term in­jury.

RGC were look­ing to fol­low on from last week’s win against Pon­typridd, against a Llanelli side that has yet to win this sea­son in the Welsh Pre­mier­ship.

The North Wales side have not found it easy in the past two out­ings at Llanelli, with the home side win­ning the games – in­clud­ing a 25-20 vic­tory in April.

Llanelli have gone down to de­feats at Swansea (33-5) and at home to Cardiff (33-10), while they did ad­vance to the sec­ond round of the Na­tional Cup fol­low­ing a 33-13 win at Maesteg Har­lequins.

It was an open first quar­ter with Llanelli tak­ing the lead with a driv­ing maul be­fore Elis Hop­kins touched down.

The home side were ask­ing plenty of ques­tions, with Grab­ham and Kal­lum Evans both test­ing the RGC de­fence.

RGC then grabbed three tries in a blis­ter­ing 10 min­utes.

A loose ball was kicked ahead by Tom Hughes and his chase and another kick got it into the path of Afon Bagshaw to col­lect and touch down. Billy McBryde added the con­ver­sion to make it 7-5 to the vis­i­tors.

The sec­ond score was the re­sult of some swift pass­ing be­fore Harri Evans skipped in­side tack­les to com­bine with Rhys Wil­liams, whose pass to Rho­dri King gave the hooker a great team try. McBryde landed the ex­tras.

A Ioan Hughes penalty got the home side back on the score­board.

Scrum-half Efan Jones ex­tended the lead min­utes later, with the boot of McBryde on tar­get with all three con­ver­sions.

Winger Aaron Grab­ham was prov­ing a good at­tack­ing out­let, and he again found some space but slipped as he tried to avoid the tack­lers.

Llanelli were held up on the line when it looked like they were over, but they didn’t have much time to wait be­fore they grabbed their sec­ond try.

Af­ter a scrum, the ref­eree awarded a penalty try to nar­row the lead to six points.

The vis­i­tors were look­ing for quick ball, but were be­ing ham­pered by some han­dling er­rors, and they in­creased as the half went on.

Will Bryan went close to the white­wash af­ter he charged down a kick, be­fore McBryde again was on tar­get with a penalty be­fore the break.

Much like the open­ing of the first half, the home side were look­ing bright with ball in hand.

Pres­sure was build­ing and it was no sur­prise when Nathan Hart scored.

A Hughes con­ver­sion made it 24-22 to the vis­i­tors.

The RGC for­wards got a foothold and good po­si­tion and worked to­wards the line, and the bonus-point try was claimed by prop Will San­der­son. The ex­tras were added by McBryde.

RGC again were un­able to build on that score, and af­ter a cou­ple of loose kicks the RGC de­fence opened up and Grab­ham took full ad­van­tage to break, be­fore Ryan Davies fin­ished with a bonus-point try for Llanelli.

The score­board was be­ing made to work, and RGC ex­tended their lead with a try from Rhys Wil­liams.

McBryde smashed over his most dif­fi­cult kick of the af­ter­noon from the touch­line.

Try num­ber six ar­rived when RGC had num­bers out wide and an Oscar Len­non pass found

Bagshaw who crossed for his sec­ond try of the game.

RGC weren’t mak­ing life easy for them­selves and they en­dured a ner­vous last five min­utes as er­rors gave the home side chances and they took full ad­van­tage.

An RGC kick was charged down and it ended with Ja­cob Lewis scor­ing.

Hughes’ con­ver­sion made the fi­nal score 43-34.

There was one last heart­stop­ping mo­ment for the vis­i­tors as Eray Wilson sprinted down the wing as the line neared, but was tack­led and knocked on.

It wasn’t a top-gear per­for­mance, but it was RGC’s first away win of the sea­son and they will look to con­tinue the win­ning run next week­end at home to Cardiff (5.15pm).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.