General Knowledge Quiz
1. In what year did Jesse Owens win four gold medals?
A 1930 B 1934 C 1939 D 1936
2. Which book of the Old Testament is also known as the Psalter?
A Genesis B Psalms C Exodus D Job
3. Which royal residence contains St George’s Chapel and the Albert Memorial Chapel?
A Buckingham Palace B Hampton Court C Windsor Castle D Balmoral
4. With which city is the Raffles Hotel associated?
A Hong Kong B Peking C Singapore
D Ho Chi Minh City
5. Which horse won the 1996 1000 Guineas at Newmarket?
A Party Politics B Hallo Dandy C Bosra Sham D Last Suspect
6. Which unit of power is abbreviated to hp?
A Hydraulic Pressure B Horsepower C Height Power D Hydropower
7. Which Cistercian abbey in North Yorkshire was closed in 1539 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries?
A Fountains Abbey B York Abbey C Spring Abbey D Wells Abbey
8. Which comedy film stars Olivia Colman in an Oscar-winning portrayal of 18th-century monarch Queen Anne?
A The Pet B The Favourite C The Duchess D The Maid
9. Which American economist and diplomat wrote The Affluent Society?
A Maynard Keynes B Richard Randall C Robert James-Thomas D John Kenneth Galbraith
10. What is the name of the station in the 1970 film The Railway Children?
A Ashfield B Oakworth C Yewtree D Elmholm
11. How is the fruit of the gourd Cucurbita pepo, which is associated with Hallowe’en, better known?
A Melon B Pumpkin C Orange D Apple
12. Who composed the light opera The Tales of Hoffmann?
A Schoenberg B Mozart C Pachelbel D Offenbach
13. Which two countries signed the Anti-Comintern pact in 1936?
A Russia and the USA B Germany and Japan C Great Britain and the USA D France and Britain
14. Which allergic condition is also called nettle rash and hives?
A Cirrhosis B Impetigo C Ichthyosis D Urticaria
15. Which Netflix series, set in San Francisco, stars Laura Linney as Mary Ann Singleton, a character she first played in the early ‘90s?
A Tales of the City B Twin Peaks C Dawson’s Creek D Melrose Place
Laura Linney See Question 15