General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which institution’s motto is ‘Serve to Lead’?
A Sandhurst Royal Military Academy
B Oxford University
C John Lewis Partnership D Eton School
2. In which Asian country were fireworks invented?
3. Which English metaphysical poet wrote To His Coy Mistress and The Garden?
A Andrew Marvell
B John Donne
C Henry Vaughan
D Abraham Cowley
4. What instrument is associated with Jack Teagarden?
5. Which Soviet president died in 1985?
A Boris Yeltsin
B Josef Stalin
C Konstantin Chernenko
D Andrei Gromyko
6. Hugh Jackman plays US senator and former presidential candidate Gary Hart in which film?
A The High Hope
B The Backstop
C The Front Runner
D The Lowdown
7. According to Greek legend who was Hero’s lover?
8. Who wrote The Rainbow and Women in Love?
A E.M. Forster
B D.H. Lawrence
C Thomas Hardy
D Anthony Trollope
9. What do the letters GNP stand for?
A Gross National Product
B Great National Pride
C Grain Nurturing Potential D Grand National Presentation
10. Who became British Home Secretary in 1997?
A Jack Straw
B Kenneth Clarke
C Frank Dobson
D Mo Mowlam 11. Which character did Dawn French play in BBC One’s The Vicar of Dibley?
A Josephine Grange B Geraldine Granger C Madelaine Grainger
D Jacklin Grange
12. Which 2004 comedy featuring puppets and written by the creators of South Park had the bold tagline Putting the F back in Freedom?
A Team America: World Police B Thunderbirds
C The Muppets
13. What was the name of the ship in which the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from England to New Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620?
A The Marie Celeste
B The Mayflower
C The Voyager
D The Queen Royal
14. Which French dramatist wrote The Bald Prima Donna and Man With Bags?
A Albert Camus
B Victor Hugo
C Yves Navarre
D Eugene Ionesco
15. Which upcoming BBC fantasy series about two parallel universes is based on a Philip Pullman novel series of the same name?
A His Dark Materials
B Mortal Engines
C The Pendragon Cycle
D Sally Lockhart
Author Philip Pullman See Question 15