Nine-man Ci­ti­zens exit cup as dis­mal run con­tin­ues

Bangor Mail - - Sport -

BAN­GOR City’s dis­ap­point­ing form con­tin­ued as they were beaten in the Welsh Cup at the second-round stage by Prestatyn Town.

The pres­sure on new boss Pe­dro Pas­culli in­creased as the run­away Cymru North lead­ers, who made the most of their nu­mer­i­cal ad­van­tage after City were re­duced to nine men dur­ing the tie, ran out com­fort­able 3-0 win­ners.

They now turn their at­ten­tions to im­prov­ing their second tier form this Satur­day when City en­ter­tain a dan­ger­ous Gres­ford Ath­letic side at Nant­porth.

Mid­fielder Rob Hughes was the first to go close for the away side, flash­ing an ef­fort into the side-net­ting on seven min­utes, but they did not have to wait much longer for the break­through which ar­rived through Jack Kenny with 11 on the clock.

City duo Francesco Ser­afino and Al­dair Neto looked lively at the other end fol­low­ing the goal, but de­spite get­ting into some promis­ing po­si­tions they were un­able to find a route past the resolute Town rear­guard, who were mar­shalled su­perbly by for­mer Wales C in­ter­na­tional Kai Ed­wards through­out.

Vis­it­ing stop­per Jon Rush­ton had to be at his best to keep out a Mas­simo Sam­martino at­tempt from point blank range mid­way through the half, and the same player tested the ex-Con­nah’s Quay No­mads player again soon after when his lat­est op­por­tu­nity was com­fort­ably di­verted.

Pavel Vieira and Neto al­most took ad­van­tage of some care­less de­fend­ing on 31 and 33 min­utes only for the Town back-line to re­cover just in time, but a sig­nif­i­cant turn­ing point came just be­fore the break when com­bat­ive mid­fielder Yalany Baio was shown a second yel­low card leav­ing the Ci­ti­zens’ with ten men.

After the break saw the away side take fur­ther con­trol of the con­test on 55 min­utes when Jack Hig­gins was sent through and de­liv­ered a chip over Gabriel Bruno to dou­ble their tally.

The tie was set­tled on 80 min­utes when Alex Jones headed in a lon­grange de­liv­ery from Dan Roberts, shortly after Vieira re­ceived his march­ing or­ders for a second book­able of­fence.

Off the field, pres­i­dent Do­minico Ser­afino has is­sued an apol­ogy to a for­mer grounds­man re­gard­ing un­paid wages.

The Ci­ti­zens con­firmed that the pre­vi­ously un­re­solved fi­nan­cial obli­ga­tions to­wards Mike Frazer have now been set­tled, which was be­lieved to be up­wards of £30,000, ac­cord­ing to sources.

Mr Ser­afino took over from Vaughan Sports Man­age­ment ear­lier this year and has im­me­di­ately tried to re­store re­spectabil­ity to the set-up fol­low­ing a tur­bu­lent twoyear stint that saw them drop from Cymru Premier run­ners-up to fac­ing the prospect of Welsh Al­liance foot­ball be­fore their 42-point de­duc­tion was over­turned by the Court of Ar­bi­tra­tion for Sport.

This is the lat­est pos­i­tive move from the new owner, who has ousted man­ager Stephen Vaughan Jr and Max Leghissa from their re­spec­tive po­si­tions and in­stalled World Cup win­ner Pas­culli as their new boss.

He has also in­vited Mr Frazer back to the fold, but recog­nised that both he and the club must “re­build trust” as they at­tempt to move for­ward.

● Ban­gor City’s sta­dium at Nant­porth

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.