Family waiting for answers
The family of a woman who died in Bath after eating a sandwich from Pret a Manger is still waiting for answers nearly nine months after an inquest into her death first opened. Celia Marsh died at the Royal United Hospital in December 2017 after eating a “super-veg rainbow flatbread” bought from the Stall Street branch of Pret. Pret believes the 42-year-old Melksham mother suffered a fatal allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in what was meant to be a dairy-free sandwich The inquest into her death officially opened at Avon Coroner’s Court on January 17, but a full hearing was adjourned pending further enquiries. A date has not yet been set for this. The court is waiting for the results of toxicology tests, but the coroner would not make any comment. A spokesman for the court said: “The matter is still being investigated and the coroner is not giving an official statement.” The family of Mrs Marsh broke their silence yesterday in a statement released by lawyers acting on their behalf. They said: “We have kept a dignified silence since the death of Celia in December last year as the family has come to terms with her sudden and unexpected death. “We are also awaiting the outcome of the investigations into how she died. “She was a much-loved mother, daughter, sister and wife. “We miss her greatly and we just want the answers to why she died after eating lunch with her family.” Pret A Manger has said the ‘dairy-free’ Coyo yoghurt it used in the sandwich contained traces of dairy protein. But the supplier, Planet Coconut, has described Pret’s claims as “unfounded”.
Celia Marsh, centre, with four of her five daughters