Buc­ca­neers sunk on Welsh trav­els

Bath Chronicle - - SPORT -

Cardiff & Met bat­tled back to get the bet­ter of Team Bath Buc­ca­neers’ men’s 1sts in Wales. Buccs were miss­ing some key play­ers in John Jack­son and Harry Skin­ner, the for­mer due to a dis­placed frac­tured fin­ger, though Cardiff were also with­out Luke Hawker. Af­ter a dis­ap­point­ing loss to Cardiff last year re­sid­ing in the me­mory of some Buccs play­ers, they ar­rived de­ter­mined to im­prove their ef­forts this time round. Bath started well with good spells of pos­ses­sion and ter­ri­tory in dan­ger­ous ar­eas. This early pres­sure told as Ben Stone finely fin­ished with an acute de­flec­tion af­ter the ini­tial as­sist from Archie Fos­ter. Cardiff were keen to re­spond and im­me­di­ately looked to set­tle, ap­ply­ing more pres­sure as the half con­tin­ued. It took un­til the half-time whis­tle for the hosts to have their first real chance, as a poor er­ror in pos­ses­sion from Bath, re­sulted in a con­ceded penalty cor­ner. With the op­por­tu­nity to put all ten out­field play­ers against four de­fend­ers, the odds heav­ily favoured Cardiff who duly obliged and scored. Buccs were aware they would have to work hard to swing mo­men­tum back in their favour in the sec­ond half. De­spite some promis­ing pas­sages of play and plenty of chances, Bath didn’t seem to be able to con­vert the avail­able op­por­tu­ni­ties. Debu­tants Harry Wooten and Sam White­head played well through­out the match, along­side a num­ber of teenagers in the Bath side. The com­po­sure shown against the vast ar­ray of sea­soned in­ter­na­tional ath­letes at Cardiff’s dis­posal was im­pres­sive and bodes well for the fu­ture. De­spite the rel­a­tively high level of per­for­mance, Cardiff were the team who man­aged to squeeze in a sec­ond goal af­ter a de­flec­tion car­ried a high ball to­wards the back post, which was tapped in by the grate­ful player. This re­sult keeps Buc­ca­neers on six points, sit­ting sixth in a tight ta­ble with some im­por­tant matches await­ing be­fore the win­ter break. Else­where, James Par­rish struck five times as the Men’s C team over came Taun­ton Vale B in an en­thralling 7-5 af­fair. Adam Sandey and Tom Par­sons were also on tar­get for Buccs. It was much closer for the D team away at Keyn­sham, as James King scored the only goal in a 1-0 tri­umph. Richard War­wick scored the con­so­la­tion goal for the Es, who went down 4-1 at We­ston-su­per-mare. How­ever, the G team romped to a 4-0 win against Chip­pen­ham C on home soil, with Nick Chad­wick, Oliver Chad­wick and Adam White­ley among the goals. The ladies 2nd XI, were beaten 2-0 on the long trip to Ply­mouth Mar­jon. In bet­ter news for the 3rd XI, Imo­gen Hurst’s goal proved the dif­fer­ence in vic­tory over Bridg­wa­ter. There was a match­ing score­line and re­sult for the 4ths, who over­came Swin­don 2nds with the only goal, scored by Nikki Ma­clean as she pounced on a loose ball in the D and coolly slot­ted home. ■ CITY of Bath There was re­lief for the men’s 1st team, who ended their run of six straight de­feats by get­ting the bet­ter of Fire­brands A 3-1. The 2nds did not do so well, fall­ing to a 5-2 de­feat at home against Som­er­set Gry­pons. In a derby date for the 3rds, there was vic­tory by the odd goal in three against the Team Bath Buc­ca­neers F team. Vic­tory over Cirences­ter B also meant the 4ths halted a poor run. Hav­ing lost five straight games, City tri­umphed 3-2 at home against the Glouces­ter­shire out­fit. Cor­sham were 1-0 win­ners against City’s ladies 1sts, while the sec­ond string were beaten 5-2 against lo­cal ri­vals Team Bath Buc­ca­neers 5ths.

Team Bath Buc­ca­neers Ju­nior Hockey Academy play­ers with the GGR Com­mu­ni­ca­tions brand­ing at the Univer­sity of Bath Sports Train­ing Vil­lage

Buccs star John Jack­son was miss­ing for the Cardiff clash

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.