Keyn­sham handed Su­per League test

Bath Chronicle - - SPORT -

Keyn­sham Town Ladies will be lin­ing up against top-flight op­po­si­tion af­ter bat­tling through in the Women’s FA Cup. The Lady Ks will travel to FA Women’s Su­per League out­fit Read­ing in the fourth-round proper, hav­ing over­come AFC Fylde 2-1 in Som­er­set at the week­end. They will be one of only three sides re­main­ing from the fourth tier of women’s foot­ball for the game, likely played on Sun­day, Fe­bru­ary 3 at Adams Park, the home of League 1 side Wy­combe Wan­der­ers, who host Read­ing’s ladies team. Keyn­sham took the lead over Fylde, who play one level above in the FA Women’s Na­tional League North­ern Premier Divi­sion, through Kerry Bartlett on 34 min- utes, but were pegged back by So­phie Charl­ton just be­fore the in­ter­val. The hosts con­tin­ued to cre­ate chances, whose hopes were boosted fur­ther when Jenna Car­roll was sent off for Fylde with 15 min­utes to go. Keka Vega would then put Keyn­sham back in front, and they held on to seal their place in the fourth round – plus adding an­other £1,000 to their prize kitty – de­spite Kirsten Rendell’s late send­ing off for a sec­ond book­ing.

■ WOMEN’S NA­TIONAL Back in league ac­tion, Larkhall Ath­letic Ladies were given a nervy fi­nal 15 min­utes by bat­tling Southamp­ton Saints in South West Divi­sion 1 but came out 3-2 vic­tors. The open­ing half hour saw endto-end foot­ball where nei­ther side could hit the tar­get with the fi­nal ball. It was the home side who even­tu­ally broke the dead­lock when Mel Sar­tain broke down the left and struck the ball nicely be­tween keeper and near post. Kate Ger­man then missed out on dou­bling the lead min­utes later when her at­tempted lob from 25 yards re­bounded from the cross­bar, she did how­ever score in the fi­nal minute of the open­ing half. Sub­sti­tute Lizzie Bar­rett then made it 3-0 on 75 min­utes with a su­perb strike only min­utes af­ter en­ter­ing the field of play. Southamp­ton then broke quickly from the restart and neatly chipped the ball over ad­vanc­ing keeper Nicola O’con­nell to pull one back. And five min­utes later a sec­ond goal gave them real hope lead­ing to a fran­tic fi­nal ten min­utes which Larks sur­vived.

■ SOUTH­ERN LEAGUE Ti­tlechas­ing Money­fields left Plain Ham win­ners by the nar­row­est of mar­gins against Larkhall Ath­letic. It was the hosts that led from the penalty spot af­ter Lewis Pow­ell tucked home. How­ever, a stun­ning Lloyd Rowlatt ef­fort hauled the Hamp­shire side level and they went on to nick all three points thanks to Conor Bai­ley’s goal.

■ TOOLSTATION LEAGUE Bit­ton kept up the pres­sure on the fron­trun­ners in the Premier Divi­sion with a 1-0 home win against Odd Down. Josh Egan’s one-onone fin­ish set­tled the con­test with 15 min­utes left on the clock. On Tues­day, Aysa Cor­rick, Ben Ba­ment and Egan, plus a brace from Jordan Whit­taker helped Bit­ton progress in the Glouces­ter­shire Chal­lenge Tro­phy, beat­ing Al­monds­bury 5-3. Brad­ford Town, mean­while, smashed five goals past Cad­bury Heath with­out re­ply. They went ahead as early as the sixth minute when Char­lie Mad­di­son found the net, Jamie Lyons dou­bling the tally be­fore half-time. Martin Leni­han scored within a minute of the restart to vir­tu­ally end the con­test. Yet there was still time for Ja­cob Sloggett and Will Hail­stone to add some gloss to the score­line in the dy­ing min­utes. Divi­sion 1 saw Keyn­sham Town keep up their pro­mo­tion push by over­com­ing strug­gling Chip­pen­ham Park 3-2. Adey Har­vey teed up Michael Grist for the open­ing goal, though Park were level at half-time. It wasn’t un­til af­ter the 70-minute mark that Keyn­sham went back in front as Har­vey nod­ded home. And the Ks star added an­other five min­utes later, this time Matt Brown mak­ing the as­sist. The Chip­pen­ham side pulled an­other back to set up a close fi­nale, but Keyn­sham held on to re­main sec­ond. Else­where, Ja­mal Chevol­leau’s brace saw Cor­sham Town de­feat Ash­ton & Back­well United 2-0, both goals ar­riv­ing within the first halfhour.

■ SOM­ER­SET LEAGUE Fry Club recorded a 2-1 win over fel­low high fly­ers Shire­hamp­ton in the Premier Divi­sion to keep them hot the heels of lead­ers Nailsea & Tick­en­ham. Cal­lum Baker and Ed Searle net­ted for the Keyn­sham-based side, now one point be­hind the table­top­pers with a game in hand. Odd Down Re­serves lost 2-0 at Mid­dle­zoy Rovers. Tims­bury Ath­letic were pegged back at the last in a 2-2 draw at Yat­ton & Cleeve United. They had led twice through Rhys Cook and Matt Brookes in Divi­sion 1. Mean­while, Salt­ford were left with an­other de­feat as they fell 3-1 against Win­scombe and sit seven points off lead­ers Bridg­wa­ter Town Re­serves in sec­ond. Aaron Mes­sen­ger had net­ted their con­so­la­tion. Pease­down Min­ers Wel­fare took a point from a goal­less draw against Wel­ton Rovers Re­serves in Divi­sion 2, but Fry Club Re­serves lost 4-1 at their Ash­ton & Back­well coun­ter­parts. In Divi­sion 3, Tun­ley Ath­letic nar­rowly lost 3-2 at Ban­well, Scott Hy­nam net­ting both their goals. Cor­sham Town Re­serves lost 2-1 at Kint­bury Rangers in the Wilt­shire Se­nior League.

PIC­TURE: Dan Re­gan

Former Yeovil Town and Bris­tol Academy star El­lie Cur­son leaps away from a Fylde chal­lenge in Keyn­sham’s FA Cup win

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.