Developer to open George Best Hotel for one day
THE public will be given a chance to see inside the £15m George Best Hotel this week as the developer behind the stalled project upped his criticism of Belfast City Council.
In a letter to City Hall chief Suzanne Wylie and Lord Mayor Deirdre Hargey earlier this month, Lawrence Kenwright threatened to withhold £40m of investment in the city.
He claimed his company Signature Living’s bid to open three new hotels in listed Belfast buildings had “turned into a living nightmare”.
Now the Liverpool developer has said he will open the George Best Hotel for one day to the public at 1pm on Thursday for a preview of the work completed to date.
The hotel, which has the support of Best’s sister and brother-in-law Barbara and Norman Mcnarry, was due to open earlier this month.
Mr Kenwright has made new claims about the council’s handling of the project.
The council has declined to comment, but it’s understood it is taking legal advice on the accusations.
Mr Kenwright said: “We are an organisation which has sharpened its tools on resurrecting sites such as this and our successes are numerous and speak for themselves, having successfully delivered prestigious hotel and residential schemes all over the British mainland.
“We simply want to be allowed to get on with bringing our exciting offer to Belfast.”
Signature Living’s other projects in Belfast are a 77-room hotel in the former Crumlin Road Courthouse and a 43-room hotel on Waring Street.