GAS SAFETY A PRIORITY
HOUSEHOLDERS have been served a timely reminder to ensure that gas appliances are serviced before the winter sets in.
The Consumer Council this week urged everyone to be on their guard as part of Gas Safety Week .which runs until Sunday.
Richardwilliams, Head of Energy at the Consumer Council said: “Anyone who uses gas in their home, whether it is for their heating or a gas appliance, needs to be aware of how to keep safe and we have issued some top tips to help consumers.”
Now in its sixth year Gas Safetyweek sees thousands of organisations from across the UK work together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
The event organised by the Gas Safe Register recognises that gas safety it is not every household’s top priority.
It is hoped that by drawing attention during this special awareness week that people will realise the importance of an annual service for their appliance.
The Council’s top tips for householders with gas appliances include: • Ensure your appliances are correctly installed and serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer. • Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered at www. Gassaferegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500. • Buy a carbon monoxide detector. These are usually inexpensive and easy to install. • If you smell gas shut off the gas supply at the emergency control value, open all doors/windows to ventilate the room and contact the NI Gas Emergency Service on 0800 002 001. • Sign up on behalf of older friends or relatives for an annual gas safety check reminder at www. staygassafe.co.uk. For more information on Gas Safety Week visit: www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ gassafetyweek or for a copy of the Consumer Council ‘Switch On Electricity and Gas’ guide got to www.consumercouncil.org.uk or call 0800 121 6022.