Skate: six slippery facts
• The skate is a flat fish with two wings. Usually only the wings of the fish are eaten.
• The previous record for the biggest skate landed was in 2014 when a 208lbs and 7ft 3in long fish was caught off the coast of the Isle of Skye.
•The skate does not have a stinger, unlike other members of the ray family.
• The fish are usually found near the bottom of the sea, where they spend most of their lives.
• Scientists believe that the colour of a skate act as a camouflage, blending with the ocean floor.
• It’s believed that skates use electricity to recognize each other under water.