Cam­bridge House build on Hous­ton lift-off

Belfast Telegraph - - SPORT - BY RON­NIE IN­GRAM

CAM­BRIDGE House ad­vanced to the third round of the Danske Bank Schools Cup after mak­ing full use of the strong wind in the sec­ond half to over­turn Ban­bridge Academy’s seven-point in­ter­val ad­van­tage at Ea­ton Park into an 11-10 win in their favour.

“It was hard work against the wind but we did take the lead with a Rory McCand­less penalty and could have been fur­ther in front fol­low­ing breaks by Thomas Bovill and Tom Wharry,” stated home coach John Nicholl.

Ban­bridge re­sponded after 22 min­utes when Jake Hous­ton touched down and 10 min­utes later Andy Den­ver took a wide arc to dash in from 40 me­tres out.

After the restart, Cam­bridge House were en­camped in­side the vis­i­tor’s ‘22’ for long pe­ri­ods but the op­pos­ing de­fence held. Even­tu­ally, after win­ning a num­ber of penal­ties, McCand­less kicked his sec­ond to re­duce the ar­rears and this was fol­lowed by the win­ning try.

The pres­sure con­tin­ued and, fol­low­ing a bril­liant carry by Bovill, scrum-half Tom Wharry scored.

Re­lieved coach Nicholl added: “Full credit to the Ban­bridge de­fence who time and again held us out. It was a close game but I felt we were not clin­i­cal enough a few me­tres from their line.”

Ban­bridge coach Brian Les­lie was very pleased with his team’s per­for­mance after a tough time with in­juries, say­ing: “That was the best we have played for a long time and I thought num­ber eight Niall Thomp­son, full back and cap­tain Andy Den­ver and our Ul­ster Schools prop Adam Hanna were out­stand­ing.”

Car­rick Gram­mar’s lack of play­ing strength was cru­elly ex­posed when they lost 55-3 to Down High. Car­rick had a Daniel Cur­ley penalty while the vis­it­ing tries were scored by Christy Lind­say (3), Ja­cob Cross, Josh Han­lon (two each), Jonathan Gra­ham and Luka Walsh. Char­lie Gib­son goaled five.

A coura­geous ef­fort by Dro­more High fell just short as Re­gent House emerged nar­row vic­tors, 10-8. A ner­vous first half re­sulted in a Stu­art Martin penalty can­celled out by Dro­more’s Rhys Dale. The home team found it more dif­fi­cult fac­ing the wind but went ahead when Aaron Lyt­tle linked with Richard Dick­son to touch down. Martin later con­verted a Sa­muel At­tipoe try for vic­tory.

Belfast High were rather flat­tered by their 45-12 vic­tory over Stra­bane Gram­mar as three of the tries were scored in the fi­nal 10 min­utes. Cameron McKimm had two, the oth­ers com­ing from Fer­gu­son, Hut­ton and Doyle. Ben Reid had a try and two con­ver­sions while Aaron Dou­glas also crossed and added three con­ver­sions. Stra­bane’s Jamie Browne goaled one of their tries from Tom Harper and Jor­dan Mealiff.

Lur­gan Col­lege, after lead­ing Foyle Col­lege 10-0 at half-time ,with­stood some late pres­sure to emerge 13-8 vic­tors. Harry Bird con­verted an Alex Dick­son try and added two penal­ties while Kee­lan Coyle con­trib­uted a try and penalty for Foyle.

Larne Gram­mar and Li­mavady Gram­mar were level be­fore a late vis­it­ing try se­cured Larne a 2720 vic­tory.

The home team had a penalty try and Lewis Baldrick and John An­der­son scores. James Howe kicked a penalty while Euan Glenn had two penal­ties and con­ver­sions to tries from Aaron Gal­lagher, Cae­len Camp­bell and Ja­son Ward.

On the ball: Jack Fer­gu­son of Belfast High School in ac­tion

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.