FOCACCIA INTEGRALE (makes one large focaccia)
INGREDIENTS: 150g rye or wholemeal (wholewheat) sourdough starter; 425g strong white flour; 8g table salt; 350g tepid-warm water (see method); 100g goodquality extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for oiling and drizzling 2-3 tsp sea salt flakes; Toppings to taste - olives, tomatoes, red onion or rosemary
1. In a large bowl, weigh your flour, mix in table salt, then add your sourdough starter.
2. Mix some warm and cool water in a jug then weigh out 350g and pour into your bowl and mix into a wet dough. Cover with a damp tea towel and rest for 20-30 minutes.
3. Knead your dough and when it feels smooth, add oil and mix again. Wrap bowl in tea towels to keep it warm and leave in a warm place for four hours.
4. Oil a roasting tin and add oil on top of your proven dough and put it in the tin.
5. Flatten your dough slightly and fold in half, then fold again.
Add more oil if it’s sticking, then push it into the corners of a 30 x 40cm roasting tin. Put your tin inside a plastic bag and leave to prove for two to three more hours.
6. Remove the focaccia from the plastic bag, poke holes into it, scatter sea salt on and add toppings. Drench in oil.
7. Bake in the oven with a pan of water beneath it at 200°C (400°F) fan/Gas 7 for 20 minutes. Open door briefly then bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden.