Relic from inquiry into new reservoir
REGULAR Bugle contributor John Taylor will be familiar to readers, with his large collection of Black Country memorabilia, most of it relating to his birthplace of Stourbridge.
John now lives in Kidderminster and he avidly watches the internet auction sites for any photographs, documents or any other material with a connection to Stourbridge and its surrounding district.
John brought one of his recent acquisitions along to the Bugle office at the Dudley Archives Centre, a poster that is 95 years old.
It dates from 1923 and announces an inquiry that is to be held at Stourbridge Town Hall into a loan that has been requested by the Stourbridge and District Water Board.
The inquiry was conducted by Arthur William Brightmore, an engineering inspector in the Ministry of Health, on November 23,1923, and reported in the follow day’s edition of the County Express.
Among those attending were John Donaldson Harwood, clerk of the Stourbridge and District Water Board, it’s chairman Alderman William Robert Selleck, William Fiddian, consulting engineer to the water board, William Bartholomew Cleverly, chief engineer and manager of the water board, H.C. Harrison, the board’s accountant and Dr Joseph Richardson Sinton, the medical officer of health for Stourbridge Council.
The Stourbridge Water Board was established by an act of parliament in 1909 and had its offices at 10 Hagley Road. It covered an area of 16½ square miles and served a population of 44,000.
The board had applied to the Ministry of Health for a loan of £6,500. This was to fund the building of a new service reservoir at Wychbury Hill and a new water main to connect it with Prescott, Wollescote. The new reservoir would replace the two existing tanks at Wychbury, have a capacity of 352,800 gallons and serve around 4,000 people living in Wollescote.
After hearing evidence at the Town Hall, Dr Brightmore visited the site of the new reservoir. He later gave the go-ahead for the loan and the new covered reservoir was built on the western flank of Wychbury Hill, not far from Pedmore Hall.
Poster announcing 1923 inquiry into a loan for the Stourbridge and District Water Board
1920s map with the location of the Wychbury reservoir