Black Country Bugle
General Knowledge Quiz
1. Whose assassination in 1914 triggered the First World War?
A Kaiser Wilhelm B Pope Benedict XV C Archduke Ferdinand D Victor Emmanuel III
2. What name is given to a plant that grows on another plant for support in a non-parasitic way? A Phlytite B Mytite C Epiphyte D Ossosyte
3. Who wrote Lord Jim, Nostromo and Heart of Darkness?
A William Thackeray B Anthony Trollope C George Meredith D Joseph Conrad
4. What name was given to bars that illegally sold alcohol during the Prohibition? A Talkies B Distillers C Speakeasies D Open Taps
5. To which family of birds do canaries and siskins belong? A Tits B Rooks C Parrots D Finches
6. Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey will star in which 2023 postapocalyptic TV drama based on a video game of the same name? A The Walking Dead B The Last of Us C Mad Max D Horizon Zero Dawn
Pedro Pascal See Question 6.
7. Which former gateway to the City of London was physically relocated to Paternoster Square, close to St Paul’s Cathedral? A Menin Bar B Queens Bar C Righton Bar D Temple Bar
8. The words to the hymn Jerusalem are taken from a poem by which British poet and artist? A Robert Burns B William Blake C William Wordsworth D Samuel Taylor Coleridge
9. Which British Pre-raphaelite artist painted Christ in the House of his Parents? A Sir John Everett Millais B Sir James Everett Milton C Sir Jim Earnest Mcdonald D Sir John Mathew Oakes 10. Which German composer, who assisted Wagner with Parsifal, is best known for the opera Hansel und Gretel? A Wolfgang Humperdinck B Engelbert Humperdinck C Claus Humperdinck D Friedrich Humperdinck
11. Hallowe’en is the eve of which Christian festival? A Holy Day B All Souls’ Day C Easter Day D All Saints’ Day
12. What is the usual British name for the domestic heating fuel also called kerosene? A Paraffin B Petrol C Diesel D Methanol
13. Which lanthanide element is represented by the symbol Ce? A Caesium B Chlorine C Curium D Cerium
14. Of which Italian city is La Scala opera house a feature?
A Milan B Turin C Rome D Venice
15. Of which ocean is the Sea of Japan a part?
A Atlantic Ocean B Indian Ocean C Arctic Ocean D Pacific Ocean