General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which Asian kingdom was formerly known as Siam?
2. What sort of creature is a guillemot?
A A moth
B A bird
C A monkey
D A butterfly
3. How many US states have names that begin with the letter M?
A Eight B Nine C Seven D Ten
4. In which country were the 1998 Winter Olympic Games held?
5. Who wrote Love and Mr Lewisham?
A Isaac Asimov B George Orwell C Arthur C. Clarke D H.G. Wells
6. Which new film set in the west of Ireland stars Brendan Gleeson as Colm, who suddenly puts an end to his lifelong friendship with Colin Farrell?
A The Pixies of Innisfree
B The Pookas of Inishbeg
C The Banshees of Inisherin
D The Leprechauns of Inishmore
7. What name was given to the guerrilla force led by Brigadier General Orde Wingate in Burma (now Myanmar)?
8. Who won the 400m hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics, but missed the 1980 games because of the US boycott?
A Fred Aaron
B Edward Lyle
C Richard Black
D Ed Moses
9. Which rock band released an album entitled Vanishing Point?
A Primal Scream B Reef
C Korn D Terrorvision
10. Which Darling Buds of May star played district nurse Peggy in ITV’s Where the Heart Is?
A Pam Feroe
B Pam Fields
C Pam Ferris
D Pam Falstaff
11. In which London park is Rotten Row?
A Hamstead Heath B Hyde Park
C Regent’s Park D Wimbledon Common
12. Who wrote Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea? A C.S. Lewis
B Arthur Conan Doyle
C Robert Louis Stevenson
D Jules Verne
13. Which Porridge character was played by Richard Beckinsale?
A Lennie Godber
B Lennie Smith
C Lennie Molere
D Lennie Tissot
14. Which British novelist and ‘angry young man’ wrote Hurry on Down and The Contenders? A John Grisham
B Iain Banks
C John Wain
D Tim Lott
15. What is the orbital period of Halley’s Comet?
A 90 years B 24 years C 76 years D 140 years