General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which actor played Captain Mainwaring in Dad’s Army?
A Ian Lavender
B Clive Dunn
C John Le Mesurier
D Arthur Lowe
2. In what year was Bob Geldof given an honorary knighthood? A 1976
3. The Ringgit is the national currency of which country?
4. What is gynophobia?
A Fear of heights B Fear of women C Fear of dogs D Fear of men
5. Which 7th-century BC Athenian lawgiver was famous for his severe code of laws?
6. Oscar Kennedy and Thaddea Graham are among the stars of which new BBC Three comedy-horror series set aboard a cruise liner?
A Death on the Tyne
C Buffet of Fortune D Overboard
7. Which German composer wrote A German Requiem and the Alto Rhapsody?
8. In what country was the mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary born? A England
C New Zealand D Scotland
9. Which rugby union team defeated Sale 9-3 to win the 1997 Pilkington Cup Final? A Gloucester
10. Which historical event of 1666 is commemorated by the Monument?
A The Great Fire of London
B The Great Plague
C The Gunpowder Plot
D The Restoration of the monarchy
11. With which instrument is Fritz Kreisler associated?
12. Who won the 1996 men’s singles title at Wimbledon?
A Tim Henman
B Pete Sampras
C Boris Becker
D Richard Krajicek
13. What was the name of the village in which Noel’s House Party took place?
A Wrinkley Bottom B Crinkley Bottom
C Blobby Bottom
D Wobbly Bottom
14. In which city is the Kelvingrove Art Gallery?
A Edinburgh B Dundee C Glasgow D Aberdeen
15. Which French-born British author wrote Cautionary Tales for Children?
A Jean Racine
B Hilaire Belloc
C Jean-Pierre Claris de Florian D Eugene Brieux