Pat­era and Davies beat North East stars Rit­son and Foot re­spec­tively

Boxing News - - Contents - Roy Kelly

Lewis Rit­son loses Euro­pean ti­tle fight in his New­cas­tle home­town

FOR­GET H’away the lads, this was more a case of away the lads. The Toon Army who sang Lewis Rit­son to the ring at a rau­cous Metro Radio Arena with a rous­ing ren­di­tion of Ge­ordie an­them Blay­don Races were stunned into si­lence when Francesco Pat­era won a pul­sat­ing bat­tle for the va­cant Euro­pean light­weight ti­tle via split de­ci­sion.

New­cas­tle’s pas­sion­ate fans had turned out in force ex­pect­ing to wit­ness another night of glory for Bri­tish cham­pion Rit­son. But Pat­era ripped the script to shreds with a su­perb per­for­mance to in­flict the first de­feat of the For­est Hall fighter’s ca­reer.

Rit­son, out­fought and out­thought, hit a prover­bial brick wall after six fights in­side 12 months. He lacked his cus­tom­ary zip and took too many punches. Yet all be­gan with such prom­ise, as his jab found the Bel­gian’s head with unerring ac­cu­racy in the open­ing three rounds. How­ever, far from be­ing soft­ened up, Pat­era got his own jab flow­ing as Rit­son’s be­gan to lose its sting. Pat­era did take sev­eral solid shots to the head and body, but he fired back with three, four and five-punch com­bi­na­tions.

Pat­era hurt Rit­son with a left to the mid­sec­tion at the end of the sev­enth, as he en­joyed a pro­duc­tive mid­dle sec­tion of the con­test. There was no lack of guts from Rit­son, who took it to the cool cus­tomer from Genk in the 11th and, for the first time, Pat­era ap­peared to be feel­ing the pace. But, de­spite a good start to the fi­nal frame from Rit­son, Pat­era re­cov­ered his com­po­sure to re­gain the EBU belt. Judge Soren Saug­mann scored it 116-112 to Rit­son, but Beat Hausam­mann and Anssi Per­a­joki marked it 116-112 to the vis­i­tor. As Rit­son sport­ingly ad­mit­ted af­ter­wards, the best man won. Fabian Guggen­heim ref­er­eed.

There was another mas­ter­ful away win in the chief sup­port on this Match­room Box­ing bill, as Glenn Foot lost the maiden de­fence of his Com­mon­wealth su­per-light­weight cham­pi­onship on a unan­i­mous de­ci­sion to Rob­bie Davies Jnr, who added the va­cant Bri­tish ti­tle for good mea­sure. While scrappy, the fight kept ev­ery­one gripped un­til the fi­nal bell.

Kirkby’s Davies has carved out a rep­u­ta­tion as a stop­page spe­cial­ist, but here he used ev­ery ounce of his south­paw skill to thwart his ag­gres­sive Sun­der­land op­po­nent. Foot prowled for­ward through­out, look­ing to un­load big rights. When he con­nected to Davies’ chest and then chin in the sec­ond round, it looked promis­ing for the Wear­sider, es­pe­cially when Davies ended the ses­sion with blood drip­ping from his left eye.

But Foot was never able to find any sus­tained pres­sure and when he did land, it was in­vari­ably fol­lowed by a clinch. Davies was shrewd, us­ing short, sharp, ac­cu­rate shots with both fists to

dic­tate mat­ters. A cou­ple of the scores were a lit­tle wide, but Davies de­served his dou­ble prize – 119-109 (Steve Gray), 118-110 (Howard Foster) and 117-112 (Michael Alexan­der). Robert Wil­liams of­fi­ci­ated, while Foot an­nounced his re­tire­ment after the con­test. Liver­pool’s Craig Glover halted

Si­mon Vallily at 1-06 of round eight in their Bri­tish cruis­er­weight ti­tle elim­i­na­tor (set for 10). It started go­ing badly the pre­vi­ous day for the Mid­dles­brough fighter, cur­rently train­ing him­self, when he weighed in three pounds above the 200lb limit. It got worse when he was put on his pants by a Glover left hook in the first. In the eighth, a boom­ing right sent Vallily on the re­treat and, with Glover pound­ing away on the ropes, ref­eree Foster in­ter­vened.

Croy­don’s clin­i­cal Joshua Bu­atsi took just un­der three min­utes to dis­pose of French­man Tony Aver­lant with two pre­cise left hooks to the body. Aver­lant got to his feet both times, but could not carry on after the sec­ond knock­down, lead­ing ref­eree Alexan­der to wave it off at 2-53. It was sched­uled for 10. It would be in­ter­est­ing to see Bu­atsi take on ex-bri­tish light-heavy champ Hosea Bur­ton, who knocked out his French foe in the opener in his city of birth, also with a left hook to the body. Saidou Sall com­plained that the Manch­ester-based boxer had hit him low, but ref­eree Gray thought oth­er­wise and counted him out after just 29 sec­onds of this six-round bout. Dave Allen de­liv­ered a wicked left hook down­stairs to de­feat Samir Nebo in their 10-rounder. The Ger­man crum­pled to the can­vas in agony with ref­eree Ron Kear­ney reach­ing ‘10’ at 1-05 in the first. The pop­u­lar Don­caster man aped the watch­ing Alan Shearer at ring­side with the old num­ber nine’s goal cel­e­bra­tion, which drew chants of “There’s only one David Allen” from the crowd. West Rain­ton’s un­beaten former Bri­tish su­per-ban­tam king Thomas Pa­trick Ward flat­tened Ger­many’s Tom Tran. The vis­i­tor got up but Ward’s left hooks decked Tran again, who was counted out at 2-13 of the first of a sched­uled four. My Kear­ney was in charge.

Mon­trose debu­tant John Docherty,

the 2018 Com­mon­wealth Games bronze medal­list, un­leashed a left up­per­cut-left hand combo to KO Chea­dle’s Jor­dan La­timer after only 18 sec­onds of a slated four-rounder. Mr Gray ref­er­eed.

Liver­pool’s An­thony Fowler dropped and de­feated Hun­gary’s Ga­bor Gor­bics

at 0-45 of the fifth in a bout listed for eight and of­fi­ci­ated by Mr Gray. Mean­while, Ben­well’s Joe Laws went toeto-toe with Chris Truman, be­fore ref­eree Kear­ney called a halt at 2-22 of the fourth and fi­nal frame after the Birm­ing­ham bat­tler was decked twice in quick suc­ces­sion. The same of­fi­cial marked lo­cal

Lawrence Osueke a 60-54 vic­tor over Ghana­ian vet­eran Charles Adamu.

Wallsend’s Terry Wilkin­son had Chris Ad­away on the can­vas in the first, but the Ply­mouth man got up and played his part in four belt­ing rounds, Mr Gray scor­ing it 40-35. Else­where, Mr Kear­ney con­trolled a pair of four-rounders fea­tur­ing Bul­gar­i­ans. Spen­ny­moor’s Chad El­lis edged out Angel Emilov 39-38, while Bedling­ton’s Dar­ren Reay blitzed

Sa­muil Dim­itrov at 1-25 of the first.

THE VER­DICT Rit­son can come back after recharg­ing his bat­ter­ies, while Davies can look for­ward to more big fights.


TOUGH LES­SON: Pat­era lands his right hand, pun­ish­ing Rit­son’s care­less­ness

DE­SERVED WIN­NER: Rit­son hangs his head as Pat­era is an­nounced the vic­tor

BLOOD AND GUTS: Davies over­comes a cut to take con­trol in bruis­ing af­fair while [be­low] Glover is a rev­e­la­tion against Val­liy

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.