On Wood’s fes­tive show, Mcguire loses for the sec­ond time in just over a week

Boxing News - - Action -

WHILE the Manch­ester ver­sion of the ‘Jolly Boys’ pre-christ­mas show has be­come an es­tab­lished part of the box­ing cal­en­dar, the Liver­pool ver­sion, served up by al­waysgraft­ing pro­moter Steve Wood, is a much more re­cent ad­di­tion. This year, the fare at the Devon­shire House Ho­tel was made up of three con­tests – one sched­uled for six rounds, which didn’t run its al­lot­ted course, and two slated for four, which did. All three bouts were over­seen by ref­eree Mark Lyson. The bill-top­per pitched Liver­pudlian

Nathan Ben­nett in against Glas­gow’s still­win­less Gary Mcguire, who af­ter over three-and-a-half years on the side­lines, had re­turned to the squared cir­cle just a cou­ple of miles away at the Olympia the pre­vi­ous week. Mcguire made it to the fin­ish in that come­back bout against Isle of Man first-timer Matthew Ren­nie, but there was to be no rep­e­ti­tion here. A re­tire­ment at the halfway stage af­ter be­ing dropped and hurt to the body put paid to any hopes of an early fes­tive cel­e­bra­tion for Mcguire.

Liver­pool’s Ged Car­roll had been a rel­a­tively late ad­di­tion to the show af­ter the reg­u­la­tion chop­ping and chang­ing. He quickly got into his stride and en­coun­tered few prob­lems in reg­is­ter­ing vic­tory num­ber nine against Su­dan-born Mo­hamed Mah­moud, who had made the long trek from Ply­mouth. Mr Lyson scored Car­roll a clear 40-36 win­ner, the only down­side for Ged be­ing that a clash of heads in the third left him with a cut to the right eye­brow. The re­main­ing con­test saw lo­cal debu­tant

Wes Mc­sween, pre­vi­ously an am­a­teur with the St Aloy­sius and Huy­ton clubs, hav­ing to deal with a late change of op­po­nent. Con­ced­ing a fair bit of weight, Mc­sween se­cured a 40-37 suc­cess over Hull-based Lithua­nian Zy­gi­man­tas Butke­vi­cius.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.